Summertime means movies on outdoor screens. And as any Seattleite knows, summer begins in July in the Puget Sound region. Hence, so do most outdoor movies. In the list below, you can find outdoor summer movies around Puget Sound by city. If you are looking for indoor movies, check our big list of movie theaters.
Things to know about outdoor summer movies
Weather (e.g. rain or high wind) usually cancels unless otherwise noted.
Most venues and movies are family/ kid-friendly, but not all, so check the details before you make plans.
A few venues are 21+ only. They mean it (per Washington State liquor laws). So, this means you cannot bring your infant in your arms or a toddler. Nope, we’re not kidding. 21+ only means just that. It’s the law, don’t give them a hard time about it. There are plenty of family-friendly choices when your kiddos are in tow.
Movies always begin at dusk, which varies by location, but generally means 9:00-9:30 in July and 8:00-8:30 in August. Plan to arrive soon after the venue opens (as early as 6:00 or 7:00 PM) to get your choice of seating area.
Most movies we list are free, except where noted. As usual, we focus on free events and those with $15 or less admission. But we’ll include exceptions for some events.
For more information, visit the website to find out if there is pre-show entertainment (music, kid’s activities), restrictions (outside food, pets, alcohol), suggestions on what to bring (blankets, chairs if allowed), ticket purchase information (sometimes required for free events), any other costs (parking, concessions), how to get cancellation notices, and of course the movie titles showing on any given date.
Drive-in Theaters in the Puget Sound region
Most drive-in movie theaters are open spring through fall; a couple remain open throughout the year. Contrary to pop-up outdoor movies, drive-ins show movies rain or no rain—if there is any doubt, clean your windshield so water runs off and you will see the film just fine. OH, and drive-ins need concession sales to stay in business. So please, no outside food or drink. Keep ’em in business!
(Listed alphabetically by city.)
Bremerton Rodeo Drive-In. Open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday mid-March through the end of September…or so. Open 7 days a week from mid-May until Labor Day Weekend. Closed on July 4. Snack bar is open and online ordering in advance is available. General admission: $12 ages 13+, $7 Seniors and children 5-12, under 5 is FREE. Great value for a double feature. More info: https://www.rodeodrivein.com/.
Oak Harbor (Whidbey Island) Blue Fox Drive-In. Check their website to see what’s showing. Open 7 days a week. Snack bar has gluten free options. On-site Arcade Go-Karts too. and General admission: $6.50 Cash/$7.00 Card per person age 11+, Kids under 5 are FREE, Kids 5-10 are $1/$1.50. More info: https://www.bluefoxdrivein.com/.
Port Townsend Wheel-In (62 mi NW of Seattle via ferry, 85 mi N of Tacoma. Opens in April. Wednesday-Sunday. Snack bar is open and protocols provided upon arrival. General admission $10, Kids 12 and under & adults 65+, $8, kids under 5 are FREE. More info: http://www.ptwheelinmotormovie.com/.
Shelton Skyline Theater (76 mi SW of Seattle, 46 mi SW of Tacoma). Opens in March. Rain or shine. Open at 7pm, show at dusk. Most of the revenue for the Skyline comes from our concessions–please, no outside food or drink. Prices: $8.00 for age 12 and older, $3.00 for age 6-11, ages 5 and under are FREE. Advance ticket purchase available. More info: http://skylinedrive-in.com/.
2023 Outdoor Summer Movie pop-ups
Movies in parks or other temporary locations. Listed alphabetically by city or location.
Auburn Friday Night Flicks in area parks. Fridays, July 28 – August 11, 2023. Blockbuster movies viewed outdoors on a 50′ inflatable movie screen – a real treat for the whole family:
- Friday, July 28, 2023. Lea Hill Park, 31693 124th Ave SE. 9:10 PM Movie: Minions: The Rise of Gru (PG)
- Friday, August 4, 2023. Sunset Park, 1420 69th Street SE. 9:00 PM Movie: Turning Red (PG)
- Friday, August 11, 2023. Les Gove Park, 910 Ninth Street SE. This event is held in conjunction with the Almost 5K Poker Fun Run and Walk. 8:45 PM – 10:45 PM: Movie – Top Gun: Maverick (PG-13)
- More info: Special Events – City of Auburn (auburnwa.gov)
Bellevue Tuesday Movies at Downtown Park. July 18-August 22, 2023. Bring a blanket, a lawn chair, family, and friends. 40-foot movie screen, all movies rated PG. Pre-movie live, local entertainment and vendors begins at 7pm. Movie at dusk.
- July 18. Minions: The Rise of Gru
- July 25. Trolls World Tour
- August 1. Hoodwinked
- August 8. Elf
- August 15. The Karate Kid
- August 22. Back to the Future Part II
- More info: 2023 Bellevue Summer Outdoor Movies in the Park | Bellevue.com
Bellevue Thursday Movies at Crossroads Park. August 3-24. Bring a blanket, a lawn chair, family, and friends. 40-foot movie screen, all movies rated PG. Pre-movie live, local entertainment and vendors begins at 7pm. Movie at dusk.
- August 3. Pokémon: Detective Pikachu
- August 10. Big Hero 6
- August 17. Dumbo
- August 24. Hocus Pocus
- More info: 2023 Bellevue Summer Outdoor Movies in the Park | Bellevue.com
Everett, Fridays “Sail-in” Cinema at the Marina. Friday nights July 21 – August 25, 2023, at the Port of Everett’s Boxcar Park. The only waterfront movie series in Snohomish County, offering free, family-friendly movies:
- July 21: 9:15 p.m. – Lyle, Lyle Crocodile (PG)
- July 28: 9:10 p.m. – Top Gun: Maverick (PG-13)
- August 4: 9:00 p.m. – The Goonies (PG)
- August 11: 8:45 p.m. – Lightyear (PG)
- August 18: 8:35 p.m. – Clueless (PG-13)
- August 25: 8:20 p.m. – Fantastic Beasts (2016) (PG)
- More info: “Sail-in” Cinema at the Marina (portofeverett.com)
Marysville Saturday Movies at Jennings Park Pavilion. Saturdays at 9PM from July 15 – August 12, 2023:
- Jul 15 Top Gun: Maverick (PG-13)
- Jul 22 Thor Love and Thunder (PG-13)
- Jul 29 Strange World (PG)
- Aug 5 Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (PG-13)
- Aug 12 Luca (PG)
- More info: Outdoor Movies in the Park | Marysville, WA – Official Website (marysvillewa.gov)
Redmond Movies at Marymoor Park. Tuesday or Wednesday, July 6 – August 23, 2023. Note: advance tickets $10/person; at the door $13—credit card only. Child 5 and under free:
- Thursday, July 6: GREASE
- Wednesday, July 12: EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE
- Wednesday, July 19: MONSTERS, INC.
- Wednesday, July 26: TOP GUN: MAVERICK
- Wednesday, August 2: THE GOONIES
- Wednesday, August 9: BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER
- Thursday, August 17: UP
- Wednesday, August 23: THE PRINCESS BRIDE
- More info: Movies at Marymoor Park | Redmond, WA | Epic Events & Promotion (epiceap.com)
Seattle Center Movies at the Mural Amphitheatre. Fridays July 28 – August 25, 2023. Movies begin at dusk (about 9pm). Each feature is preceded by a short film by students at Cornish College for the Arts. Experience FREE movies outdoors at Seattle Center each summer. Picnic on the gently sloping Mural Amphitheatre lawn, in front of a state-of-the-art 40-foot screen, with the Space Needle looming above:
- Jul 28: The Princess Bride
- Aug 04: Clueless
- Aug 11: Jaws
- Aug 18: Dreamgirls
- Aug 25: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
- More info: Movies at The Mural (seattlecenter.com)
Seattle Friday Night Movies at Freeway Park. Fridays, August 4 – Sept 8 (no movie Sept 1st). Movies start at dusk. At Seneca Plaz, watch a classic on the big screen in the heart of the City. Free popcorn, snacks and drinks provided. All Freeway Park Association events are free and open to the public.
- Friday, August 4th: Jaws
- Friday, August 11th: Moonrise Kingdom
- Friday, August 18th: Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Friday, August 25th: Nope
- No Movie September 1st
- Friday, September 8th: The Mitchells vs. The Machines
- More info: August Movie Nights | Freeway Park Association
Seattle Columbia Park Cinema Under the Stars. July 15 and August 19, 2023. More info: Events Calendar – Rainier Arts Center
- Saturday, July 15, 2023. Black Panther. Opens 7:30, movie at 8PM.
- Saturday, August 19, 2023. Soul. Opens 7:30, movie at 9PM.
Tacoma Summer Bash Outdoor Movies at Metro Parks. August 5, 19, 25, 2023. More info: Summer Bash & Outdoor Movies – Metro Parks Tacoma
- Saturday, August 5, 2023 at Center at Norpoint (4818 Nassau Ave NE). Minions: The Rise of Gru, (PG)
- Saturday, August 19, 2023 at Stewart Heights Park (5715 Reginald Gutierrez Ln). The Super Mario Bros. Movie (PG)
- Friday, August 25, 2023 at STAR Center (3873 S 66th St). The Super Mario Bros. Movie (PG)
Past Outdoor Summer Movie pop-ups in parks
The last time we checked (July 16, 2023), the following locations had no outdoor movies scheduled for summer 2023.
Seattle Chinatown-International District outdoor movies at Hing Hay Park. TBA. More info: C-ID Summer Cinema – Seattle Asian American Film Festival (seattleaaff.org)
Seattle downtown Westlake Park. More info: https://downtownseattle.org/events/
Seattle Scarecrow Carpool Cinema at Phinney Neighborhood Association (lower lot), 6532 Phinney Ave N. Tickets are $20 per carload with limited spaces. More info: http://blog.scarecrow.com/carpoolcinema/
Seattle Skyway Outdoor Cinema. On pause for 2023. More info: https://mywesthill.org/skyway-outdoor-cinema.
If you are looking for indoor movies, check our big list of movie theaters.
Upcoming Film Festivals & Movie Screenings
Listed below are upcoming film festivals, special movie screenings, and related events such as readings and filmmaking workshops.
Sunday, October 1, 2023
Monday, October 2, 2023
Tuesday, October 3, 2023
Wednesday, October 4, 2023
Thursday, October 5, 2023
Friday, October 6, 2023
Saturday, October 7, 2023
Sunday, October 8, 2023
Monday, October 9, 2023
Tuesday, October 10, 2023
Wednesday, October 11, 2023
Thursday, October 12, 2023
Friday, October 13, 2023
Saturday, October 14, 2023
Sunday, October 15, 2023
Monday, October 16, 2023
Tuesday, October 17, 2023
Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Thursday, October 19, 2023
Friday, October 20, 2023
Saturday, October 21, 2023
Sunday, October 22, 2023
Tuesday, October 24, 2023
Thursday, October 26, 2023
Friday, October 27, 2023
Saturday, October 28, 2023
Sunday, October 29, 2023
Monday, October 30, 2023
Tuesday, October 31, 2023
Wednesday, November 1, 2023
Thursday, November 2, 2023
Friday, November 3, 2023
Saturday, November 4, 2023
Sunday, November 5, 2023
Tuesday, November 7, 2023
Tuesday, November 14, 2023
Saturday, November 18, 2023
Tuesday, November 21, 2023
Saturday, November 25, 2023
Tuesday, November 28, 2023
Tuesday, December 5, 2023
Tuesday, December 12, 2023
Saturday, December 16, 2023
Tuesday, December 19, 2023
Tuesday, December 26, 2023
But wait, there’s more!
- You might also like our big list of movie theaters in the Puget Sound region.
- Find free and cheap things to do every day on the Greater Seattle on the Cheap event calendar.
- Visit the Greater Seattle on the Cheap home page and choose from a menu of free and cheap activities in the Puget Sound region.
Love our cheap ideas? Get our FREE email newsletters. Choose from daily, weekly, and monthly lists. Click here to subscribe.