Every Sunday of the year, the Center for Wooden Boats (CWB) on South Lake Union in Seattle offers free boat rides. The boat rides happen RAIN OR SHINE, only strong wind conditions cancel the rides. You need to sign up in person that morning (see more details below). While waiting for your ride to begin, or after your sail, take a walk on the docks to see all of the boats. You might also get a chance to watch volunteer crews rigging the boats for sailing. Don’t miss the FREE Dock Toys. Dock Toys at CWB are interactive exhibits that focus on maritime skills every sailor should know, such as knot tying, measuring water depth, and using signal flags.
How to sign-up for a free CWB boat ride
- You must sign-up in person for the free boat rides.
- Sign-ups begin at 10am; space is limited and rides fill quickly. Arrive early to get a spot, especially on sunny days and holidays.
- One person may sign up five other people who are not present; no phone reservations are accepted.
- You do not need to be present while waiting for your boat ride to begin.
- All ages are welcome and they have life jackets for everyone.