Seattle Opera presents entertaining and insightful previews and lectures about the operas they produce every season. Get an inside look as you discover the beauty of opera or deepen your personal connection to the enjoyment of the opera.
There are many ways to enjoy opera for free in Seatte: Live broadcasts from the Seattle Opera stage of McCaw Hall, community opera previews, and seasonal opera lectures are free and everyone is welcome. In addition, there are ways to attend live opera for as little as $15. Details of these opportunities are listed below.
About Seattle Opera
Since 1963, Seattle Opera has built a reputation as a leading opera company, recognized in the United States as well as around the world. Seattle Opera is especially known for its acclaimed works of Richard Wagner’s epic Ring.
The company is committed to advancing the cultural life in the Pacific Northwest with opera productions of the highest caliber, and through innovative education and community programs that take opera far beyond the McCaw Hall stage at Seattle Center.
Each year, more than 95,000 people attend Seattle Opera performances and programs designed for people of all ages.
2017/2018 Seattle Opera season
Madame Butterfly. Aug. 5-19, 2017. Puccini’s beloved classic tells the story of a whirlwind affair (and its tragic aftermath) between a reckless American naval officer and a trusting Japanese maiden.
The Barber of Seville. Oct. 14-28, 2017. Young love conquers all in Rossini’s colorful, hilarious comedy full of harebrained schemes and unforgettable music.
Così fan tutte. Jan. 13-27, 2018. Mozart’s passionate music tells a timeless tale of love, lust, and loyalty in this quirky comedy of (bad) manners.
Beatrice & Benedict. Feb. 24-Mar. 10, 2018. This new operatic adaptation of Shakespeare’s “Much Ado about Nothing” features the Bard’s own text – in English – set to Berlioz’s beautiful music.
Aida. May 5-19, 2018. Set in Egypt, Verdi’s epic masterpiece features a high-stakes love triangle between two rival princesses and a conflicted military commander.
Free live broadcasts of Seattle Opera productions
Want to experience the splendor of opera on the go? Tune into 98.1 KING FM selected Saturday nights during the season for live broadcasts from the Seattle Opera stage of McCaw Hall. A Seattle Opera curator leads you through this marvelous listening journey. Upcoming Seattle Opera LIVE broadcasts from McCaw Hall:
- October 21, 2017: The Barber of Seville
- January 20, 2018: Così fan tutte
- March 3, 2018: Beatrice & Benedict
- May 12, 2018: Aida
Seattle Opera Free Community Previews
Opera previews feature professional singers and an accompanist in an hour long presentation that takes the audience on a journey through the story and music of the upcoming Seattle Opera production. Registration is not required. Visit the Seattle Opera website for the upcoming preview schedule.
Free Così fan tutte Previews January 2018 around Puget Sound
- Tuesday, January 2, 2018 7:00 PM Burien Library
- Thursday, January 4, 2018 7:00 PM Mercer Island Library
- Friday, January 5, 2018, 5:30 PM at Rainier Arts Center, Columbia City neighborhood in south Seattle
- Saturday, January 6, 2018 2:00 PM Bainbridge Island Library
- Sunday, January 7, 2018 2:00 PM Vashon Island Library
- Monday, January 8, 2018 7:00 PM Bellevue Library
- Tuesday, January 9, 2018 2:30 PM Judson Park, Des Moines
- Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:00 PM Issaquah Library
- Wednesday, January 10, 2018, 6:30 PM at Jefferson County Library, Port Hadlock
- Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:00 PM Shoreline Library
- Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:30 AM Newport Way Library
- Thursday, January 11, 2018, 12:00 PM at Seattle Central Library Branch
- Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:00 PM Ballard Library Branch
- Sunday, January 21, 2018 2:00 PM Frye Art Museum
- Sunday, January 21, 2018 5:30 PM Bothell Library
For more information about Così fan tutte, visit: https://www.seattleopera.org/on-stage/cosi-fan-tutte/
Seattle Opera Free Lecture Series at Seattle University
The Seattle Opera free lectures are interactive multi-media experiences, designed to make you think about opera in new and innovative ways. These fun and informative lectures have something to offer the opera novice and the opera aficionado alike. Past lectures have covered topics ranging from cultural and historical context surrounding opera, to the exploration of current events through an operatic lens. The free lectures are presented monthly during the Seattle Opera season. Upcoming Seattle Opera Free Lecture Dates are listed below. Admission is free, but RSVP Recommended.
- Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:00 PM Pigott Auditorium – Seattle University
- Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:00 PM Pigott Auditorium – Seattle University
- Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:00 PM Pigott Auditorium – Seattle University
- Tuesday, January 23, 2018 7:00 PM Pigott Auditorium – Seattle University
- Tuesday, February 27, 2018 7:00 PM Pigott Auditorium – Seattle University
- Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:00 PM Pigott Auditorium – Seattle University
- Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:00 PM Pigott Auditorium – Seattle University
- Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:00 PM Pigott Auditorium – Seattle University
How to get cheap tickets to Seattle Opera
$25 tickets are available in the Second Tier Side Upper for every Seattle Opera performance at McCaw Hall, unless otherwise specified. The $25 tickets sell out quickly, so purchase them as far in advance as possible.
$15 Standing Room Only (SRO) tickets are also available for all performances at McCaw Hall. Standing room is in the back of the Orchestra, and you do, literally, stand throughout the performance (you cannot sit in any unoccupied seats, but there is a padded rail to lean against). Also be aware that the English translations are not visible from the SRO location and that availability is extremely limited. Purchase SRO tickets by phone or in person on the day of show at the Seattle Opera office (1020 John Street): for weekday performances at 9:00 a.m. and for weekend performances at noon on the day of the opera.
Vashon Library, 17210 Vashon Highway SW, Vashon Island, WA 98070
Mercer Island Library, 4400 88th Ave SE, Mercer Island, WA 98040
Ballard Branch Library, 5614 22nd Ave. N.W., Seattle, WA 98107
Bellevue Library, 1111 110th Avenue NE Bellevue WA 98004
Shoreline Library, 345 NE 175th Street Shoreline WA 98155
Rainier Arts Center, 3515 S Alaska St, Seattle, WA 98118
Green Lake Branch Library, 7364 E. Green Lake Dr. N., Seattle, WA 98115
Burien Library, 400 SW 152nd Street, Burien, WA 98166
Seattle University, Pigott Auditorium, 1016 E. Marion St. Seattle, WA 98122
Issaquah Library, 10 West Sunset Way, Issaquah WA 98027
Newport Way Library, 14250 SE Newport Way, Bellevue, WA 98006
Kirkland Library, 308 Kirkland Avenue, Kirkland, WA 98033
Kingston Library, 26159 Dulay Rd NE, Kingston , WA 98346
Bainbridge Island Library, 1270 Madison Ave. N, Bainbridge Island, WA 98110