Blue Moon Tavern makes Seattle’s top ten list of oldest bars in the city. Opened in 1933, it’s as quintessential as a dive bar can be. Rough around the edges. Good prices and strong drinks. Peanut shells on the floor. Bathrooms recommended only to the desperately inebriated.
Located one mile west of the University of Washington on 45th Street just before I-5, the Blue Moon has been a haven for UW Huskies and blue collar workers, African-American servicemen during WWII, literati, poets, beatniks, and hippies, along with campus radicals, political activists, and members of the underground press. Read more about Blue Moon’s storied past at http://www.historylink.org/File/1001
Listen to live music most nights of the week. Some nights feature several different bands, often local rock groups, along with other genre (punk, bluegrass…). Open mic every Wednesday — signup at 8pm. There is no cover charge most weeknights, and low cover charge Thursday through Saturday ($7-$10, sometimes more….).
Blue Moon Tavern, 712 NE 45th Street, Seattle, WA just off I-5. Street parking is limited. Full bar. No food, just baskets of peanuts. Enjoy Happy Hour every day until 6:30 PM, with a variety of local beers on tap (note: yes, there is no Blue Moon beer) and classic cocktails. Every Tuesday, it’s happy hour all day, along with free pool and free peanuts.
Here’s the current lineup and cover charge:
- Mon Feb 26, 7pm, Free. Comedy Crater Monthly Showcase
- Thu Mar 1, $7. Radioshark, Jo Jo Jupiter, Zelda Starfire
- Sat Mar 3, $8. Medium Weekend, Yeah No Totally, Best Band From Earth, Bunny N’ Bear
- Thu Mar 8, $7. Liquorjacket, The Sinbound, Buff Muff
- Fri Mar 9, $7. Guardian Alien, Dead On Cue, Uranus
- Sat Mar 10, 9pm, $8. Hard Money Saints, Carrion Crows, Are They Brothers?, Bigger Than Mountains
- Thu Mar 15, $7. Lark Vs Owl, Trash Panda, Guests
- Fri Mar 16, $7. Your Sweet Action, Mike Votava & The Ding Dongs, Chris Poage Band
- Sat Mar 17, $7. St Patrick’s Day, Rippin Chicken
- Thu Mar 22, $7. The Aimlows, Dirty Rugs, Here Comes The Hooch
- Fri Mar 23, $8. Norestep, Fraktal Phantom, Webb / Henneman / Mcinnis
- Sat Mar 24, 9pm, $8. Season Of Strangers, Blurred Out (Oakland), Blue Sky Black, The Late Style
- Thu Mar 29, $7. Triggerwords, Guests
- Fri Mar 30, 9pm, $7. Skates!, Zigtebra (Chicago), Creature Hole, Rat Queen
- Sat Mar 31, 9pm, $8. Thom Celica, Steeltoe Metronome, Sam Cobra, Red Heart Alarm
For updates on who is playing at the Blue Moon in Seattle, visit https://bluemoonseattle.wordpress.com/