The Boeing Air Show during Seattle Seafair Weekend is a must see for all families and thrill seekers. For many across the Pacific Northwest, summer and Seafair reach their pinnacle as the pilots behind the yokes of the “Blue” Boeing F/A-18 Hornets make their thunderous and spectacular appearance over the skies of Seattle.
The U.S. Navy Blue Angels amaze the Seafair audience with their knife-edge passes and dynamic maneuvers directly overhead boaters on Lake Washington. The F/A-18 can reach speeds just under Mach 2 (almost twice the speed of sound or about 1,400 MPH).
Blue Angels Seafair practice and show schedule*
*This is the schedule from years prior to 2017. The Seafair.com website is very poorly maintained this year–yeah Seafair.com, we’re talking to you. As of July 8, 2017 the Seafair.com website lists NO details about the Boeing Air Show schedule, or the Blue Angels performance times or practice schedules. In addition, the Blue Angels website lists air shows for August 5-6 only, which means there may be no practice or performance on Thursday or Friday. In any case, we’re including information from prior years.
- (tentative) Thursday: 9:45 a.m. – noon and 1:15 – 2:30 p.m. (Practice)
- (tentative) Friday: 1:15 – 2:30 p.m. (Practice)
- (tentative) Saturday: 1:15 – 2:30 p.m. (Full show)
- (tentative) Sunday: 1:15 – 2:30 p.m. (Full show)
Seafair I-90 closure information
Note: The Washington State Department of Transportation will close all lanes of Interstate 90 across Lake Washington several times to accommodate air show practices and performances by the U.S. Navy Blue Angels. The detailed I-90 closure schedule is available HERE (2017 information not available as of July 8, 2017) on the WSDOT website.
- The bridge highrises will still be accessible to pedestrians and cyclists. However, no one on foot or bike can travel beyond the highrises up to 30 minutes prior to posted closure times.
- I-90 east of Mercer Island will NOT be closed during the performance, although drivers should note that heavy congestion during these closures often restricts access to the exits.
Places to watch the Blue Angels for freeFREE admission is available on Friday to Seafair Albert Lee Cup Hydroplane Races and the Boeing Air Show on Lake Washington. You can pick a ringside seat along the shores and enjoy the show. Plan to stay a while, buy some food at one of the food booths, or stroll the vendor booths. For $10, you can buy a “pit pass” and see the hydroplanes up close and personal.
Museum of Flight (MOF) is the Blue Angels’ headquarters during the team’s Seafair performance, as well as the launch pad for Seafair’s Boeing Air Show featuring a multitude of aircraft. Outside the museum, it is free to see the Blue Angels’ thunderous takeoffs and of the nearby Boeing Field flights for other Seafair Airshow airplanes. There is no parking at the museum that day, so before you go, check their website for alternatives. Inside MOF, the museum celebrates Seafair and the Blue Angels’ with the “Jet Blast Bash” festival, filled with children activities, food, entertainment and more. Festival activities are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day and included with admission to the Museum. Regular admission is $21; a variety of free and discount passes are available to AAA members, Boeing employees, military/veterans, seniors, and youth. Children 4 and under are always free. Visit the MOF website for more information or to purchase tickets.
A lot of people walk out into I-90 while it is closed. Note that you cannot drive onto I-90 (see Seafair I-90 closure information above).
Parks along Lake Washington with good viewpoints, (from north of the Seafair entrance at Mount Baker Park or south of the Seafair entrance at 49th Ave S and Lk Wash Blvd S)
- Mt Baker Ridge Viewpoint, 1403 31st Ave S, Seattle, WA 98144 (map)
- Mount Baker Park Bathing Beach, 2521 Lake Park Dr. S, Seattle, WA 98144 (map)
- East Portal Viewpoint, 1400 Lake Washington Blvd. S (map)
- Day Street Boat Ramp, 1402 Lakeside Ave. S (map)
- Colman Park, 1800 Lake Washington Blvd. S (map)
- Seward Park is closed during Blue Angels performances, 5895 Lake Washington Blvd. S (map)
- Pritchard Island Beach, 8400 55th Ave. S (map)
Parks on Mercer Island with good viewpoints
- Aubrey Davis Park (formerly Lid Park), 2030 72ND AVE SE, Mercer Island, Washington 98040 (map)
- Groveland Beach Park, 7740 SE 58TH ST, Mercer Island (map)
Love our cheap ideas? Get MORE DEALS like this delivered by email – yes, of course it’s FREE! Click here to subscribe