For gym memberships, CrossFit classes, and other fitness programs, we offer a list of facilities with modest fees, based on the average gym and fitness class prices in the Seattle metro area. In the lists below, we include only regular prices and initiation fees. However, many fitness retailers offer discounts at various times of the year.
The two best times to sign up for gym membership are usually January and late spring (May or June). Gyms tend to offer sign-up specials and membership discounts, knowing that people are focused on healthy habits for New Year’s resolutions or want to get into shape for summer…and the skimpier clothing that goes along with warmer weather.
In the Seattle area, fitness classes (of all types) typically range from $15-25 per session. Monthly gym memberships and enrollment fees average $65, with some lower and many much higher. Our list of value gym memberships in the Seattle area focuses on gyms whose per session price is around $20 or less, or ones that offer monthly memberships around $65 or less, plus enrollment fees under $100 per month.
Some gyms offer free or modest trial passes. Definitely take advantage of free or paid trials. It’s a great way to confirm that the staff, classes, and facilities meet your exercise needs before you sign up for a membership lasting several months or longer. You may be able to leverage free gym use for several weeks, if you try a different trial offer each week.
Free trials are sometimes (though not always) followed by a high-pressure sales pitch. If you have difficulty resisting coercion, free trials may not be a good option for you, especially if it ends with you signing up for membership you don’t like or cannot afford. A good way to delay the pressure to sign up is to let them know in advance that you are trying several gyms, and expect to decide on membership only after you’ve tried all your options.
When considering the cost of a gym membership, it is important to carefully weigh the amenities against cost. If you prefer Stairmaster to free weights, spin classes to yoga, or want to end your exercise regimen by taking a steam shower or swimming laps, then a gym with lower cost that doesn’t have the amenities you desire will likely go unused.
Likewise, you are not likely to use a gym membership that is inexpensive, but not convenient to your normal daily routine. So be sure to confirm hours, busy times, parking, child care, or any other option that may affect the overall value to you.
Finally, be sure to inquire about any applicable discounts that may apply in your situation, such as reduced rates for additional family members, children, seniors, military, government employees, and first responders.
Free SilverSneakers gym membershp
SilverSneakers is a free fitness program for eligible seniors. One out of 5 people 65 or older is eligible for a SilverSneakers membership. The program includes unlimited access to every participating gym and fitness center in the network. That’s a gym membership at more than 14,000 locations nationwide, with unrestricted access to EVERY location, including weights, treadmills, pools, and other amenities at each location.
There are also fitness classes for all abilities led by certified instructors at gyms, fitness centers, and other locations. As adults age, those who maintain a physically active lifestyle can reduce their health risks and substantially improve their wellbeing, longevity and independence.
To find out if you qualify, check with your insurance provider, or verify online at: https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/CheckEligibility.
Seattle and Puget Sound gyms and fitness clubs
Here are some of the more modestly priced gyms in the city of Seattle. Most are locally owned and operated.
(Listed alphabetically by city. Seattle gyms listed by zip code.)
- Olympic Fitness Club, 4459 SE Mile Hill Dr, Port Orchard, WA 98366. Monthly memberships: $34-$64, plus $75 initiation. Annual memberships: $340-$640 (2 months free), plus initiation fee.
- East Highlands Fitness, 16410 SE 128th St, Renton, WA 98059. Drop-in $10. Monthly membership: $25-$49, plus $22 initiation. Annual membership: $250-$539, plus initiation.
- Eastside Gym, 15040 NE 95th Street, Redmond, WA 98052. Monthly: 3 Months – $69.00, 6 Months – $130.00, 12 Months – $199.00.
- Fremont Health Club, 920 N 34th St Seattle, WA 98103. Monthly membership: $55+5 classes or $75+unlimited classes, plus $100 enrollment. 30+ classes are offered each week, including barre, boxing, HIIT, Pilates, yoga, and more. There are a number of other daily and weekly rates and punch cards.
- Seattle Fitness, 83 S King St, Seattle, WA 98104. Daily rate is $10. 10-visit Punch Card is $70. One Month Pass is $59. Monthly membership rate is $39, plus $150 enrollment fee.
- Ballard Health Club, 2208 NW Market St, Seattle, WA 98107. Drop-in $16. 10-visit punch card $145. Monthly $39-$49 or annual $390-$490, plus $49 initiation.
- Columbia City Fitness Center, 4860 Rainier Ave S, Seattle, WA 98118. Punch cards and memberships available. Dual membership in both locations (Columbia City and Central District).
- Rainier Health & Fitness, 7722 Rainier Ave S, Seattle, WA 98118. Drop-in fee: $7 per visit. Membership monthly rate is $30, plus $39 initiation fee. Includes all classes. Sliding scale available.
- Rival Fitness, 510 E Pine St, Seattle, WA 98122. Their membership rates are above $60. But they offer lots of classes, which if combined with a home workout could be the incentive you need to commit to a fitness program. Class punch card (10 classes) is $200, valid for 6 months. Monthly rates (3-month minimum, plus $60 enrollment): Daytime including classes is $75; Gym only (+50% off classes) is $90; Unlimited classes is $165.
- Mode of Fitness Gym, 1410 14th Ave, Seattle, WA 98122. Try 7 days free. Monthly rate is $50-55.
- Columbia City Fitness Center, 2609 S Jackson St, Seattle, WA 98144. Punch cards and memberships available. Dual membership in both locations (Central District and Columbia City).
Unique Fitness Programs (boxing, bouldering, personal training)
These businesses operate unique programs that offer an alternative to traditional gyms offering fitness classes and personal trainer sessions. Most are locally owned and operated.
While some of these programs are higher than our target of $65/month, they offer something unique that may be of more value and help you achieve your fitness goals.
(Listed alphabetically by city. Seattle gyms listed by zip code.)
- Always Running Personal Conditioning (variable location) offers one-on-one coaching to help you achieve your fitness goals. The investment can be higher than a modest gym membership, but may be more effective in the long run (pun intended). Monthly fees range from $150-$350, with a suggested 3-month minimum.
- Experience Momentum (Lynnwood, Seattle). Offers fitness classes, CrossFit, and personal training. 7-Day FREE Trial for fitness classes. Monthly memberships: $59 to $179 per month depending on level and frequency chosen. Class packs: $109 to $189. Drop-In: $24 or buy a T-Shirt.
- TITLE Boxing Club (Redmond, Seattle). Fees can vary by location. Drop-in rate $20. Monthly membership $69-$89, annual membership $759, plus initiation $99. No contact workout, no experience needed. A fun alternative to traditional exercise.
- Seattle Strength & Performance, 525 Dexter Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109. 30-day trial $99. Various personal trainer and conditioning class memberships from $99-$459 per month.
- Emerald City Boxing & Fitness Gym, 6516 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115. First group fitness class: FREE. Single Class/drop-in gym: $20. 10-Class Punch Card: $180. Monthly open gym: $70, open gym + unlimited classes: $140.
- Arcaro Boxing (@ Renew Physical Therapy), 5620 Rainier Ave South, Seattle, WA 98118. Drop-in $15. Monthly Open Gym $38. Punch Cards: 5-class $75. 10-class: $145. Yearly Open Gym $325.
- GymSmythy, 3721 S Alaska St., Seattle, WA 98118. Group classes: Drop-in $15, 10-class punch card $120, monthly unlimited $90.
- Urban-Fit Studios, 1500 Summit Ave, Seattle, WA 98122. Drop-in $20. Monthly memberships $50-$85 (with personal trainer $120-$185), plus $100 sign-up fees.
- Arcaro Boxing Gym, 1208 East Jefferson St, Seattle, WA 98122. Drop-in $15. Monthly Open Gym $38. Punch Cards: 5-class $75. 10-class: $145. Yearly Open Gym $325.
- Seattle Bouldering Project, 900 Poplar Pl S, Seattle, WA 98144. Climbing classes and gym (classes included with purchase of a day pass, punch card, or membership). Day Pass is $18. 10-day Punch Card is $150. Membership monthly rate is $75; Annual rate is $780, plus $40 setup. Daily shoe rental is $4.
Multiple location franchise gyms and fitness clubs
These gyms (mostly franchises) with multiple locations may include access to all locations, though some offer “all access” for a slightly higher fee. If you travel regularly for vacation or work and want to workout away from home, a gym with reciprocal privileges in other locations can be a great option. Be sure to inquire if you plan to use (or not use) more than one location with your membership.
(Listed alphabetically by name)
- 24 Hour Fitness (Auburn, Bellevue, Bothell, Everett, Issaquah, Kent, Lynnwood, Redmond, Renton, Seattle/Ballinger, Seattle/downtown, Seattle/Northgate, Seattle/West Seattle, Tacoma, Tacoma/Lakewood). Try 3 days free. Fees, amenities, and classes vary by location: Monthly membership (12-month commitment) rates range from $30-$45 and initiation fee is usually $50. Additional fees may apply for some classes.
- Anytime Fitness (70 locations across Washington State, about half in the Puget Sound region). 24/7 access to more than 4,000 locations worldwide. Free 7-Day Pass. Memberships start around $50 per month. However, rates vary based on location, amenities, and membership type. Contact a nearby location to confirm.
- Emerald City Athletics (3 locations: Everett, Monroe, Seattle/Stone Way). Try 7 days free. Fees, amenities, and classes vary by location: Monthly membership rate is $69, plus enrollment fee. Additional fees may apply for some classes.
- Gold’s Gym (Bothell, Issaquah, Kirkland, Redmond, Woodinville). Free pass available. Rates vary by location. Monthly membership ranges from $25-$69 and initiation fee is $0-200. They offer monthly rates, plus short-term and long-term contracts with lower monthly fees.
- LA Fitness (about 30 locations throughout the Puget Sound region). Try five days free. Fees, amenities, and classes vary by location. Monthly membership rate is $25-$40 and initiation fee is $99. Additional fees may apply for some services.
- Planet Fitness (about 20 locations throughout the Puget Sound region). Try one day free. Fees, amenities, and classes vary by location. Monthly membership ranges from $10-$22 and startup fee is $10-$20. Additional fees may apply for some services.
- Snap Fitness (Bremerton, Edmonds, Poulsbo, Redmond, Silverdale) 30 days $9 Fit Pass (online only). Rates vary by location. Monthly membership ranges from $35-45, plus fees of $69-124.
- YMCA of Greater Seattle (Auburn, Bellevue, Bothell, Newcastle, Sammamish, Seatac, Seattle/downtown, Seattle/Madison Valley, Seattle/University District, Shoreline, Snoqualmie, West Seattle). Monthly membership rate is $78 and join fee is $100.
What is Crossfit?
CrossFit is a program of high intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts that rotate daily. The program is designed for all skill levels, from beginners to Olympic athletes. CrossFit workout gyms are no frills facilities that appeal to people who don’t like traditional gym equipment and fitness classes.
Due to rigorous instructor certification and small class size, CrossFit programs cost two to three times more than the average gym membership. However, they are fun, effective programs for building and maintaining physical fitness, whether you are currently a couch potato or already active and toned.
Each “workout of the day” (WOD) includes a routine composed of activities from calisthenics, running, rowing, weightlifting, and gymnastics. For example, a WOD might include a routine composed of repeated sets of rowing, barbell lifts, and pull-ups; or burpees, squats, and sit-ups. The variations are endless.
All CrossFit gyms require that newcomers to the sport complete an introductory program to introduce the WOD format and fundamentals of the WOD routines. Fundamentals programs range from $100-$300. After completing a beginner course, most CrossFit programs recommend a minimum of 3X weekly workouts, though some offer membership with fewer, as well as unlimited weekly workouts.
There are over hundreds of CrossFit affiliates across Washington State, and dozens in Seattle and the Puget Sound region. CrossFit programs and fees vary by facility.
Below we list a few popular CrossFit gyms offering the most economical programs, costing less than the average $175-$185 per month for 2X or 3X weekly sessions. Some gyms also have a setup or initiation fee.
Seattle CrossFit programs
(Listed by zip code)
- CrossFit Amped, 1533 Minor Ave, Seattle WA 98101. Monthly rates: 2X weekly $139, 3X weekly $169, Unlimited $195.
- Seatown CrossFit, 8316 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103. Monthly rates: 2X weekly $165, Unlimited $199.
- CrossFit Hinge, 1412 S Henderson St, Seattle, WA 98108. Monthly Unlimited: $145. Annual Unlimited: $1,566. 10-Class Punch Card $180. Sliding scale available.
- Seattle Strength & Performance, 525 Dexter Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109. Monthly Unlimited interval-based Conditioning Classes $99-$149 (depends on length of commitment).
- CrossFit LOFT, 4140 California Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98116. Free trial week. Monthly rate: 9 classes $185, unlimited $205.
- CrossFit West Seattle, 4200 SW Admiral Way, Seattle, WA 98116. Drop-in $30. Punch card 10-visits $225. Monthly 9-classes $175. Unlimited $200. Foundations $225. Discount for annual prepaid membership.
- CrossFit RE, 4243 Rainier Ave S, Seattle, WA 98118. Monthly rate: CrossFit ‘deconstructed’ $160 (for those not quite ready for CrossFit.
- CrossFit Felix, 2211 5th Ave, Seattle WA, 98121. Monthly: 3X weekly $200. 3-months $510. Higher discounts for 6-month and 12-month paid in advance.
- Foundation CrossFit, 1415 12th Ave, Seattle, WA, 98122. Monthly: 2x/week $155, 3x/week $195.
- CrossFit MKG, 10714 5th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98125. Monthly rates: 3X weekly $152.00, Unlimited $177. Discount with 7-month commitment.
- South Seattle CrossFit, 2653 SW Yancy Street, Seattle, Washington 98126. Free assessment. Drop-in $18. Fundamentals $99. Monthly unlimited $185.
- CueFitSeattle, 902 1st Ave S, Seattle, WA, 98134. Monthly: 8 visits $160, plus $50 initiation. Unlimited $210, no initiation fee.
- CrossFit Interbay, 4036 23rd AVE W, Seattle, WA 98199. Monthly rate: 3X weekly $175, Unlimited $185.
Puget Sound CrossFit programs
(Listed alphabetically by city)
- (Auburn) Gargoyle CrossFit, 1508 O St SW, Auburn, WA. 98001. Monthly rates: 3X weekly $125, Unlimited $145.
- (Bellevue) Lake Hills CrossFit, 1331-118th Avenue SE, Bellevue, WA 98005. Monthly rates: 2X weekly $125, 3X weekly $150, unlimited $175.
- (Bellevue) CrossFit Amped, 399 114TH Ave NE Bellevue WA 98004. Monthly rates: 2X weekly $139, 3X weekly $169, Unlimited $195.
- (Burien) Renascent CrossFit, 234 SW 153rd St, Burien, WA 98166. Monthly rate: $170.
- (Federal Way) CrossFit Federal Way, 33753 9th Ave So, Federal Way, WA 98003. Monthly rates: 2X weekly $125, 3X weekly $145, Unlimited $165.
- (Gig Harbor) Narrows CrossFit, 2817 Jahn Avenue NW #1 | Gig Harbor, WA, 98335. Monthly rate: Unlimited $155.
- (Kent) Imperial CrossFit, 702 W Meeker St, Kent, WA 98032. Monthly rates: 3X weekly $145; Unlimited $165.
- (Kirkland) Lake Washington CrossFit, 11853 124th Ave NE Kirkland, WA 98034. Monthly rates: 3X weekly $145; Unlimited $180.
- (Puyallup) The Roost CrossFit, 15916 99th Ave E Puyallup, WA 98375. Monthly rates: 3X weekly $99, Unlimited $130.
- (Redmond) Acuo CrossFit, 8539 152nd Avenue Northeast, Redmond, WA 98052. Monthly rates: Unlimited $165.
- (Renton) King CrossFit, 296 SW 43rd St, Renton, WA 98057. Monthly rates: unlimited $160. Discounts for prepaid 6-month, 12-month.
- (Shoreline) CrossFit Amped, 516 NE 165th St. Shoreline WA 98155. Monthly rates: 2X weekly $139, 3X weekly $169, Unlimited $195.
- (Sumner) Sumner CrossFit, 15718 Main Street East, Sumner, WA 98390. Monthly rate: $145. 12-class punch card $155. Discount on prepaid annual.
- (Tacoma) Ascent Fitness, 2909 S 12th Street, Tacoma, WA 98405. Monthly unlimited $169.
- (Tacoma) Town Athletics, 3914 6th Avenue Tacoma, WA 98406. Monthly rates: Unlimited $165 (3-month commitment).
- (3 locations: Bellevue, Renton, Tacoma) Rain City Fitness (RCF). Monthly rates: 2X weekly $125; Unlimited $165.
No Gym Options?
We’ve got an idea for that! There are plenty of ways to keep fit without visiting a gym. See our list of 10 frugal ways to stay fit in Seattle: