Here’s our list of where to see free public fireworks show in the Seattle-Tacoma metro area and other cities and communities around the Puget Sound region. At the end of the list of fireworks shows, we offer tips for photographing fireworks. And, if you are planning a private show, we offer links to fireworks laws.
Love our cheap ideas? Get our FREE email newsletters.
Choose from daily, weekly, and monthly lists:
2023 Public July 4th fireworks shows & celebrations
Listed below are the largest Fourth of July celebrations and fireworks shows in the Seattle-Tacoma metro area. Scroll down for smaller cities and communities that usually have free public fireworks displays in around the Puget Sound region.
(Listed alphabetically by city)
Downtown Bellevue Independence Day & Fireworks Show
Celebrate our nation’s birthday in Bellevue Downtown Park with friends and neighbors at the Eastside’s largest 4th of July event, presented by The Bellevue Collection! Enjoy free live music, children’s activities, food options/food trucks and family entertainment. Amazon Entertainment Plaza will feature country-rock band The Lowdown Drifters at 5:00 p.m. and party pop tunes from The Nines! at 7:00 p.m. The City of Bellevue and Bellevue Downtown Association have co-produced the Bellevue Family 4th for the past 30 years.
- Use alternate transportation: walk, bike, take the bus, or carpool.
- Street parking in nearby residential streets is prohibited; violators may be impounded.
- Free parking is available after 5 p.m. at The Bellevue Collection properties (Bellevue Square, Lincoln Square North, Lincoln Square South and Bellevue Place).
- There is a delivery drop-off area on 100th Ave NE, on the west side of Bellevue Downtown Park.
- Fireworks at approximately 10:05 p.m. from the Downtown area and last for 15-17 minutes. The show is synchronized with a live performance by the Bellevue Youth Symphony Orchestra.
- More info: Bellevue 4th of July Fireworks (bellevuedowntown.com)
Edmonds parade & July 3 fireworks at Lake Ballinger
Civic Field is still under construction, traditional locatoin of the fireworks shos. However, the Edmonds Chamber is sponsoring and supporting the fireworks show over Lake Ballinger (more info below).The Edmonds is hosting 4th of July Parade with a lineup of 90-100 entries, including neighborhood groups, High School graduating classes, and classic car clubs. More info: An Edmonds Kind of 4th – Edmonds Chamber of Commerce.
July 3rd fireworks over Lake Ballinger
The Edmonds Chamber is sponsoring and supporting the fireworks show over Lake Ballinger, produced by the City of Mountlake Terrace. The boat launch and waterfront areas, including the new fishing pier, will be closed. The spectator viewing area will be on the hillside within the park – directly to the south and southeast of the Mickey Corso Community Clubhouse (also known as the Mountlake Terrace Senior/Community Center). There is no onsite parking available, so walking, biking and rideshares are strongly encouraged.The fun will include a DJ and food trucks beginning at 6:00PM. When darkness falls at approximately 10:00 p.m., expect the fireworks display over beautiful Lake Ballinger. More info: 3rd of July Family Celebration | Mountlake Terrace, WA (cityofmlt.com)
Everett’s iconic Thunder on the Bay fireworks show
Everett’s July Fourth at Legion Memorial Park is loads of fun with live music, adult bevvies, food trucks and kid-friendly entertainment starting at 3 p.m. and ending after the fireworks (about 10:30 pm). Check their website for places to watch (and/or listen to) the fireworks. More info: Fourth of July Festival 2023 | Everett Tourism, WA (visiteverett.com)
Joint Base Lewis-McChord Fireworks Show (DOD ID required)
JBLM invites DOD ID card holders to Cowan and Memorial Stadiums. Food trucks will be in the midway starting at 5 p.m. Fireworks at 10:15 p.m. Please park in authorized spaces only. More info: Fireworks : JBLM : US Army MWR and JBLM MWR (armymwr.com)
Celebrate Kirkland 4th of July parade (no fireworks)
4th of July family-friendly community parade. Kirkland no longer produces a fireworks show due to the less desirable effect on pets (and their people) and surrounding environment, incuding wildlefe. Plenty of neighboring cities offer fireworks displays including Bellevue, Kenmore, Sammamish, and Seattle. More info: Celebrate Kirkland 4th of July – City of Kirkland (kirklandwa.gov)
Seattle Seafair Summer Fourth on Lake Union
Seafair Summer Fourth is voted one of the nation’s best fireworks shows across the country. The fireworks display takes place over Lake Union in one of the best natural amphitheaters anywhere. The televised broadcast features a fully choreographed fireworks presentation accompanied by a musical score. There is a full day of pre-show activities at several locations. Each location offers its own unique experience. Gates open @ 3:00 pm. Fireworks @ 10:15 pm. This event is FREE and OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Paid reserved seating is available.
- Gas Works Park for a hilltop view
- South Lake Union Park for a darker sky view. Don’t miss this special celebration of our nation’s independence.
- Lake Union for an overhead view (if you have a boat!)
- Can’t make it out to watch the fireworks live? Tune in to the live broadcast.
- More info: Seafair Summer Fourth — Seafair
Tacoma 4th of July Summer Blast
This annual event takes place on Dune Peninsula and the iconic Ruston Way Waterfront and features vendors, entertainment stages, and a firework display. This event is the largest free community event in the South Sound, produced by the City of Tacoma and Metro Parks Tacoma. More info: Tacoma Summer Blast – Metro Parks Tacoma
NOTICE: Personal Fireworks Use is Prohibited in Tacoma
Violations of the fireworks ban can result in a $513 fine. Skip the fine, start a new Fourth of July tradition in 2023! More info: Fireworks – City of Tacoma
CANCELLED: Tacoma Freedom Fair & Gig Harbor Wings & Wheels Air Show
- Gig Harbor Wings & Wheels Air Show is permanently closed as announced in a 2022 press release. More info: PRESS-RELEASE-6-13-2022b.pdf (gigharborwingsandwheels.com) and Tacoma Freedom Fair (inactive site since 2022).
But wait, there’s more! Listed below is a selected list of cities and towns that usually have free public fireworks displays in locations north, south, and west of Seattle.
Other fireworks shows North and East of Seattle
- Monroe (at Evergreen Speedway) (ticketed event $12-$22 per person)
Other fireworks shows South of Seattle
- Auburn at Emerald Downs ($7 admission to racetrack, casino opens 10:00AM, movies on the big screen throughout the day, first race 5:00PM, fireworks 10:00PM)
- Des Moines
- Federal Way
Other fireworks shows on Kitsap Peninsula and beyond
- Bainbridge Island
- Bremerton/Port Orchard (over Sinclair Inlet: view from Port Orchard Marina & Bremerton Marina)
- Pacific Coast Region | Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission. Fireworks are illegal on state park lands, including on beaches in front of Washington state parks. Check for park closures and alerts before heading out. Volunteer for a beach cleanup on July 5. More info: News Flash • Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission
Ride the Washington State Ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island, leaving either terminal at 9:45pm for the 70 minute round-trip. Walk-on round-trip fare is $8.20 (adults 19+); $4.20 (age 6-18). If you take your car, the first adult+car is $28.60. You should have views of Bremerton and Seattle fireworks, as well as other displays up and down Puget Sound.
To help you and your family make a memory of the fireworks, read our tips and tricks for photographing fireworks in Seattle.
Fireworks laws & fire safety
If you think you might want to put together your own fireworks display, be sure to educate yourself on local fireworks laws. In general, cities, towns, and parks forbid the possession or use of fireworks.
Unincorporated areas in counties around Puget Sound also strictly regulate their use, particularly if the weather is dry and burn bans are in effect. Contact your local law or fire agency if in doubt.
Wherever you are in the Puget Sound regions, have a safe and beautiful 4th of July. Let freedom ring.
Calendar of events on Fourth of July
Listed below are all events on our calendar for the week of July 4th whether you like fireworks OR want to get away!
Saturday, July 1, 2023
Sunday, July 2, 2023
Monday, July 3, 2023
Tuesday, July 4, 2023
Wednesday, July 5, 2023
Thursday, July 6, 2023
Friday, July 7, 2023