Seattle Center Festál presents free cultural festivals throughout the year. Each event highlights the distinct cultures and common threads of the ethnic communities of people living in the Puget Sound region. The festivals showcase the traditional and contemporary art, music, foods, youth activities, workshops and more. These free cultural festivals are presented by Seattle Center and the generous support by the City of Seattle, Seattle Center Foundation, and many sponsors.
The origins of the Festál program date back to the 1962 World’s Fair exhibits showcasing international cultures. In 1988, then Seattle Mayor Charles Royer and Seattle Center Director Virginia Anderson encouraged development of a series of cultural festivals. In its inaugural year, 11 festivals were presented. At last count there were 24. It’s a free, fun way to spend a weekend in the city, whether you are celebrating your roots or exploring a culture new to you.
Love our cheap ideas? Get our FREE email newsletters.
Choose from daily, weekly, and monthly lists:
2022 Festal events via Seattle Center
In 2020 Virtual Festál was launched to hold space for community to gather in face of the loss, isolation and uncertainty brought on by the worldwide pandemic. Motivation arose from a love of culture and the need to celebrate the beauty of our humanity during these challenging times. It was a manifestation of the collective resilience, brilliance and commitment of the Festál producers, volunteers and loyal community sponsors. Virtual Festál offered new ways of celebrating traditions and cultural expressions, offering food, music, dance, art, language and history to digitally connect with our greater Seattle community, and now, a global community. For 2021 Seattle Center invites you to join Festál online.
In 2022, Seattle Center commemorates 25 years of the Festál series, ushering in a new era of hybrid (in-person & virtual) programs with an anticipated return to in-person festivals.
List of 2022 Seattle Center Festál events
- February 12-13, 2022: Tet – Vietnamese Lunar New Year
- March 12-13, 2022: Irish Festival
- March 20, 2022: French Fest: A Celebration of French-Speaking Cultures
- April 8-10, 2022: Cherry Blossom & Japanese Cultural Festival
- May 1, 2022: Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month Celebration
- May 14, 2022: Spirit of Africa
- May 21, 2022: A Glimpse of China – Culture & Arts Festival
- Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-30, 2022: Northwest Folklife Festival
- June 4-5, 2022: Pagdiriwang Philippine Festival
- June 11, 2022: Indigenous People Festival
- June 17-19, 2022: Festival Sundiata Presents Black Arts Fest
- June 25, 2022: Iranian Festival
- July 9, 2022: Polish Festival
- August 13-14, 2022: Arab Festival
- August 21, 2022: Brasilfest
- August 27-28, 2022: Tibet Fest
- September 11, 2022: Live Aloha Hawaiian Cultural Festival
- September 17-18, 2022: Sea Mar Fiestas Patrias
- September 24-25, 2022: The Italian Festival
- October 2, 2022: Croatiafest
- October 8-9, 2022: Turkfest
- October 22, 2022: Diwali: Lights of India
- October 29-30, 2022: Dia De Muertos Festival
- November 5, 2022: Hmong New Year Celebration
More info: Seattle Center Festál
The Art of Gathering: 25 Years of Festál
Celebrating 25 years of Festál, Seattle Center has partnered with A/NT Gallery to host a free visual exhibit: “The Art of Gathering: 25 Years of Festál”, showcasing works of beadwork, calligraphy, painting, paper marbling, sculpture, textile, wood carving, wood pyrography and wycinanki from artists who contribute to the vibrancy of Seattle Center cultural festivals.
- What: The Art of Gathering: 25 Years of Festál artwork showcase
- When: September 3 – 23, 2022 | 11:00am – 6:00pm PT (Weds – Sun)
- Where: A/NT Gallery at Seattle Center
- Admission: In-Person | FREE
- More info: Featured Events (seattlecenter.com)
Upcoming festivals, fairs, & parades
Upcoming fairs and festivals on our calendar.
Saturday, December 3, 2022
Sunday, December 4, 2022
Monday, December 5, 2022
Tuesday, December 6, 2022
Wednesday, December 7, 2022
Thursday, December 8, 2022
Friday, December 9, 2022
Saturday, December 10, 2022
Sunday, December 11, 2022
Monday, December 12, 2022
Tuesday, December 13, 2022
Wednesday, December 14, 2022
Thursday, December 15, 2022
Friday, December 16, 2022
Saturday, December 17, 2022
Sunday, December 18, 2022
Monday, December 19, 2022
Tuesday, December 20, 2022
Wednesday, December 21, 2022
Thursday, December 22, 2022
Friday, December 23, 2022
Saturday, December 24, 2022
But wait, there’s more!
- Find more Cultural heritage festivals in the Puget Sound region.
- More festivals of all kinds on our big list of annual festivals, fairs, and parades.
- And here’s a list of 101+ always free things to do for fun.
- More free and cheap things to do every day: Greater Seattle on the Cheap event calendar.
- Still more ideas for frugal fun: Greater Seattle on the Cheap home page.
Love our cheap ideas? Get our FREE email newsletters. Choose from daily, weekly, and monthly lists. Click here to subscribe.