Shredding services are inexpensive and easy to do. Compared to the cost of fixing your credit if your identity is stolen, it’s truly a bargain.
To protect yourself from identity theft, it is very important to securely destroy routine, but sensitive information. Merely tossing it in the trash or recycle bin is a habit you may one day regret.
Listed below are several ways to shred sensitive materials. You can choose convenient methods at modest cost or take advantage of seasonal free community shredding events.
Love our cheap ideas? Get our FREE email newsletters.
Choose from daily, weekly, and monthly lists:
What to shred
Here are some of the common documents you need to shred:
- Bank account and credit card statements
- Insurance policies, contracts, and other legal documents
- Medical records
- Cancelled checks, Invoices, receipts, and pay stubs
- Documents with signatures, addresses, social security numbers, or telephone numbers
Shred these and any other documents containing personal information that someone could use to steal your identity and create serious credit problems that can take many years to resolve.
Data destruction and shredding companies
These are several companies who provide shredding services for a fee. A paid service is useful for small businesses as well as individuals for large projects, such as when moving or downsizing.
Depending on your needs, some companies do more than just shred paper. Some can accept mixed media, including: hanging folders, plastic folders, compact discs, ring binders, and more.
Puget Sound shredding companies
These companies Puget Sound region offer industrial services that include not only paper shredding but data destruction on any type of media. Services vary, many offer economical drop-off service, pick-up service with offsite data destruction, and mobile or on-site shredding at your location. Check their website for details and pricing.
- Allshred in Bremerton
- SeaDruNar Recycling in south Seattle
- American Shredding in Tacoma
- ProShred in Tukwila
- LeMay Mobile Shredding in Western Washington & Oregon
National shredding services
The following national chain stores offer shredding services at stores nationwide. They charge by the pound, which is useful if you are shredding small amounts (less than one box). Otherwise, drop-off shredding is a better deal.
How to save on shredding costs
The least expensive service is drop-off shredding. In this case, your documents are added to a larger batch that combines documents from multiple customers to be destroyed later. Your documents should be placed in a locked and secure holding bin while awaiting their destruction.
Drop-off is usually priced by the file/banker box and can be as little as $10 per box. Smaller amounts may be charged by the pound. To get the most shredding for your money, remove materials that do not contain sensitive information, such as file folders, instruction booklets, and other non-personal materials.
Pick-up service for files to be collected and destroyed later may be priced higher than drop-off or may require minimums. Mobile shredding is an enhanced service that shreds materials at your location. Pick-up or mobile on-site service is an affordable option for businesses that have large volumes of sensitive documents. For either type, you can request a one-time or occasional purge, or schedule regular on-going service (such as monthly or quarterly, depending on your volume).
If your volume is low, “do-it-yourself” or DIY shredding may be a better option. We offer more advice on DIY shredding options below.
DIY document shredding
DIY shredding using a small home office machine is relatively inexpensive and convenient. The average cost of a home shredder is $50-$100. You can find shredders at slightly lower prices and of course at much higher prices.
Before you purchase a machine, be sure to confirm with your garbage collection service about the correct way to dispose of shredded paper. The correct type of disposal bin can vary depending on whether the paper is straight cut or cross-cut. For some services, straight-cut is placed in the recycling bin, while in others it goes in the compost or green waste bin. Cross-cut shredded material may also go in the garbage bin because it is neither recyclable or compostable–it depends entirely on the garbage collection service where you live.
A lower priced shredder will have limited sheet capacity, cut the paper in long strips, may require removal of staples, will require removal of paper clips, and may not shred materials other than paper, such as thick cardboard or plastic credit cards. For many households, careful attention to sorting paper and removing staples for use in a lower priced model should provide several years of shredding capability.
If you need or want more features, you will need to spend more money on a shredding machine. A cross-cut shredder, which cuts documents in two directions and destroys the information more thoroughly will cost more than a less expensive straight-cut model.
If your household has lots of paper mail such as credit card statements, utility bills, and other documents, or if you run a home business, your shredding needs will be higher volume and more frequent. In this case, the DIY route may not be your best option and you may need more volume or regular service from one of the above data destruction companies. Keep in mind that drop-off service can be very cost effective for homeowners and small businesses. If you require only a few boxes per year, drop-off service is a more economical choice over buying a shredding machine for home or office use.
But there is one more shredding method that is cheaper—namely, free community shredding events.
Free community shredding events
Free paper shredding events are hosted throughout the year by various communities and organizations. These events are similar to paid drop-off service at a shredding company—your bags or boxes are added to a larger bin for shredding later. Most community shredding events have limits on the amount you can bring. These community events may also be limited by the capacity of the collection bins. If they reach capacity before the scheduled end of the event, it will end early. So, go earlier rather than later if you can.
A few shredding events are not free. Some are fundraisers that request a donation to a charitable organization. The suggested fee may be higher than a paid drop-off service. But it’s for a good cause—and may be a tax deduction, so check with your tax adviser.
The following organizations list community shredding events throughout the year. Visit their website for more infomation on what is acceptable. Some also accept other recyclables or even donations to the local food bank or other charitable organization.
Kent Recycling Events 2023
Mini Recycling Events take place on the following Fridays from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and focus on collecting TV’s & Electronics, Document Shredding, and Paint.
- Friday, April 21. Kent Library – 212 2nd Ave N. 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 12. Kent United Methodist Church – 11010 SE 248th St. 9:00 a.m. – noon
- August – TBD
- September – TBD
Traditional Recycling Events accept only the following items: Appliances, Batteries, Bulky yard debris (spring and summer only), Cardboard, CFC appliances, Concrete & Brick& Rock (summer and fall only), Documents for shredding, Electronics (No TV’s or monitors), Mattresses/futons & box springs, Porcelain (toilets, tubs, sinks), Propane tanks, Scrap metal, Styrofoam, Tires (Passenger tires only – limit 10 – spring and fall only), Textiles
- Spring: Saturday, March 4. Hogan Park, 24400 Russell Road
- Summer: Saturday, June 3. Kent Phoenix Academy, 11000 SE 264th St
- Fall: Saturday, October 14. Hogan Park, 24400 Russell Road
For more information: Recycling Collection Events | City of Kent (kentwa.gov)
Pierce County free shredding events 2023
Remember to ONLY bring paper documents containing sensitive information to these events. Staples, paper clips, and rubber bands can be shredded and do not need to be removed. All shred events will be from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. or until the truck is full. For more information: Shred Events | Pierce County, WA – Official Website (piercecountywa.gov)
- 4/1/2023: Parkland/Spanaway Sprinker Recreation Center
- 4/8/2023: DuPont City Hall
- 4/15/2023: Gig Harbor High School
- 4/29/2023: Edgewood Northwood Elementary School
- 5/6/2023: Puyallup Elks Lodge
- 5/20/2023: Midland/Waller Ford Middle School
- 6/3/2023: Roy City Hall
- 6/10/2023: University Place UP Refuse
- 9/9/2023: Fredrickson Pierce County Central Maintenance Facility
- 9/16/2023: Key Peninsula Fire Station #46
- 9/23/2023: University Place UP Refuse
- 9/30/2023: Lakewood/Steilacoom West Pierce Fire & Rescue Station 21
- 10/7/2023: Parkland/Spanaway Sprinker Recreation Center
- 10/14/2023: Eatonville Community Center
- 10/21/2023: Sumner Library
- 10/28/2023: South Hill Pierce County Airport
Puget Sound region – LeMay FREE paper shredding events 2023
LeMay Mobile Shredding offers free community shredding across Western Washington. For more information: LeMay Mobile Shredding – Events
LeMay FREE shredding events around Puget Sound – Spring 2023
- 01 APRIL SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Sprinker Recreation | 14824 C Street S, Tacoma, WA
- 01 APRIL SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Compass-The White Stallion Parking Lot | 15608 NE, Woodinville, WA
- 08 APRIL SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. City of Sumner | (In the back parking lot) 1104 S Maple, Sumner, WA
- 08 APRIL SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. City of Dupont | 1700 Civic Drive, Dupont, WA
- 15 APRIL SATURDAY 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. Kiwanis Club | Columbia Bank Parking Lot, 208 High School Road NE, Bainbridge Island, WA
- 15 APRIL SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Harborstone Credit Union-Issaquah | 1422 10th Way NE, Issaquah, WA
- 15 APRIL SATURDAY 9:00 am – 1:00 pm. Pacific Disposal | 2910 Hogum Bay Road NE, Lacey, WA
- 15 APRIL SATURDAY 9:00 am – 1:00 pm. Americas Credit Union | 8308 Quinault Dr NE, Lacey, WA
- 15 APRIL SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. City of Buckley | 29021 Highway 410, Buckley, WA
- 15 APRIL SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Gig Harbor High School | 5101 Rosedale Street NW, Gig Harbor, WA
- 22 APRIL SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Tapco Credit Union-Gig Harbor | 7109 Pioneer Way, Gig Harbor, WA
- 22 APRIL SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Tapco Credit Union | 6312 19th Street West, Tacoma, WA
- 22 APRIL SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Tapco Credit Union-Bonney Lake | 19371 WA-410 East, Bonney Lake, WA
- 22 APRIL SATURDAY 9:00 am – 1:00 pm. Anacortes Walgreens Parking lot | 909 17th Avenue Street, Anacortes, WA
- 22 APRIL SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Timberland Bank-Tacoma | 7805 S Hosmer Street, Tacoma, WA
- 22 APRIL SATURDAY 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. Interstate All Battery | 727 134th Street SW, Everett, WA
- 22 APRIL SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Windermere-Olympia | 2312 Pacific Ave. SE, Olympia, WA
- 22 APRIL SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Tapco Credit Union | 6312 19th Street West, Tacoma, WA
- 22 APRIL SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Tapco Credit Union | 6312 19th Street West, Tacoma, WA
- 22 APRIL SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Kitsap Regional Library | 700 NE Lincoln Road, Poulsbo, WA
- 29 APRIL SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Harborstone Credit Union-Tacoma | 4720 Center Street, Tacoma, WA
- 29 APRIL SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Timberland Bank-Puyallup | 12814 Meridian Ave E, Puyallup, WA
- 29 APRIL SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm . Edgewood Police Department | Parking lot of Northwood Elementary 9805 24th Street East, Edgewood, WA
- 06 MAY SATURDAY 8:00 am – 11:00 am. Weatherly Inn | 6016 N Highland PKWY, Tacoma, WA
- 06 MAY SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Stanwood Lions Club-Coastal Community Bank | 9810 Ste Rote 532, Stanwood, WA
- 06 MAY SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Puyallup at the Elks Lodge | 314 27th Street NE, Puyallup, WA
- 06 MAY SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Keller Williams of Puget Sound | 33434 8th Ave. South, Federal Way, WA
- 12 MAY FRIDAY 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. First Command | 8820 59th Avenue SW, Lakewood, WA
- 13 MAY SATURDAY 8:00 am – 11:00 am. Weatherly Inn-Renton | 4500 Talbot Road S, Renton, WA
- 13 MAY SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. City of Steilacoom | 1030 Roe Street, Steilacoom, WA
- 13 MAY SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Kitsap Credit Union-Port Orchard | 393 S. Kitsap BLVD, Port Orchard, WA
- 13 MAY SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Weatherly Inn | 6016 N Highland PKWY, Tacoma, WA
- 19 MAY FRIDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Cogir at the Narrows | 8201 6th Ave, Tacoma, WA
- 20 MAY SATURDAY 11:00 am – 2:00 pm. Our Community Credit Union-Vashon | 9710SW Bank RD, Vashon, WA
- 10 JUNE SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. UP Refuse | 2815 Rochester Road West, University Place, WA
- 24 JUNE SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. McDonald McGarry | 630 Main Street, Edmonds, WA
LeMay FREE shredding events around Puget Sound – Fall 2023
- 09 SEPTEMBER SATURDAY 9:00 am – 11:00 pm. City of Lynnwood | 20525 60th Avenue West, Lynnwood, WA
- 09 SEPTEMBER SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Silvermark | 7901 168th Avenue NE, Redmond, WA
- 16 SEPTEMBER SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Kitsap Bank-Silverdale | 10488 Silverdale Way NW, Silverdale, WA
- 16 SEPTEMBER SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Kitsap Bank-Belfair | 24180 State Route S, Belfair, WA
- 16 SEPTEMBER SATURDAY 9:00 am – 1:00 pm. The Anacortes Family Center | Walgreens Parking lot, 909 17th Street, Anacortes, WA
- 16 SEPTEMBER SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Puyallup-Meridian East | 17520 Meridian East, Puyallup, WA
- 23 SEPTEMBER SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Kitsap Bank-Poulsbo | 19724 7th Avenue NE, Poulsbo, WA
- 30 SEPTEMBER SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Kitsap Bank-Bainbridge | 10140 NE High School Road, Bainbridge, WA
- 30 SEPTEMBER SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Kitsap Bank-Bremerton | 3425 Wheaton Way, Bremerton, WA
- 07 OCTOBER SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Kitsap Bank-Gig Harbor | 4714 Pt. Fosdick Drive NW, Gig Harbor, WA
- 07 OCTOBER SATURDAY 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Kitsap Bank-Port Orchard | 3324 Bethel Road SE, Port Orchard, WA
- 07 OCTOBER SATURDAY 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Sprinker Recreation | 14824 C Street S, Tacoma, WA
Federal Way free recycling event March 25, 2023 from 10-2
- Bring your old tires, Styrofoam that can’t be recycled curbside, and confidential paper shredding. SOUTH KING TOOL LIBRARY, 1700 S 340th St, Federal Way, WA. More info: Tires/Styrofoam Recycling and Paper Shredding Event | Facebook
Office Depot and OfficeMAX shredding discount coupon expires 4/1/2023
- Office Depot and OfficeMAX (multiple Puget Sound locations) Get 50% off in-store shredding. Limit one coupon per customer. Expires 4/1/2023. More info: Shredding + Storage Services | Office Depot
Renton drive-thru shredding, Rx takeback, and foodbank event April 15, 2023
- Saturday, April 15, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (or until trucks are full) at Renton Memorial Stadium. Shred-a-thon and prescription RX takeback event. Canned, dry goods, and monetary donations will be accepted to benefit the Renton Salvation Army Food Bank. More info: Shred-A-Thon & Prescription Drug Take Back – City of Renton (rentonwa.gov)
Other Western Washington free shredding events Apr-Sept 2023
Community shred events across Washington State. For more information: Community Shred Events | Washington State
- Saturday, April 15, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Renton Memorial Stadium. Shred-a-thon and prescription RX takeback event.
- Saturday, June 3, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. (or until the truck is full). Sound Credit Union, 2502 196th ST SW, Lynnwood.
- Saturday, June 3, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. (or until the truck is full). Sound Credit Union, 2020 S. 320th St, Suite H, Federal Way, WA 98003.
- Saturday, September 9, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Renton Technical College, NE 6th Place & Monroe Ave NE. Up to 5 boxes (banker box size) or equivalent in bags with be accepted.
BECU free drive-thru shredding events May 20, 2023
Free Shred Events every spring in Tukwila, Federal Way, Everett, and Bellingham. They’ll also collect cash and nonperishable donations to support a non-profit in your neighborhood. All events will run from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., and shred until the trucks are full. For more information: Spring Shred and eCycle Event | BECU
- BECU Tukwila Financial Center, 12770 Gateway Drive, Tukwila, WA 98168. Saturday, May 20 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Donations will go to the Tukwila Pantry Food bank.
- BECU Federal Way Pavilions Neighborhood Financial Center, 31411 Pacific Highway South, Federal Way, WA 98003. (Note: not the Crossings location.) Saturday, May 20 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Donations will go to the Multi-Service Center.
- Everett Mall, 1510 SE Everett Mall Way, Everett, WA 98208. (Enter on East Mall Drive and continue around the back of the mall past Floor and Décor. The event entrance will be on the south end of the mall.) Saturday, May 20 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Donations will go the Salt of the Earth’s Food Bank.
FedEx shredding services year-round
- Shredding services are offered at $1.49 per lb. More info: Shredding Services In-Store| FedEx Office
Calendar of upcoming shredding events
The following events on our calendar include recycling events of all kinds (e.g. consignment, flea markets, garage/yard sales, repair cafes, shredding & recycling, etc.).
Saturday, April 1, 2023
Wednesday, April 5, 2023
Friday, April 7, 2023
Saturday, April 8, 2023
Friday, April 14, 2023
Saturday, April 15, 2023
Friday, April 21, 2023
Saturday, April 22, 2023
Thursday, April 27, 2023
Friday, April 28, 2023
Saturday, April 29, 2023
Wednesday, May 3, 2023
Friday, May 5, 2023
Saturday, May 6, 2023
Friday, May 12, 2023
Saturday, May 13, 2023
Friday, May 19, 2023
Saturday, May 20, 2023
Friday, May 26, 2023
Saturday, May 27, 2023
Friday, June 2, 2023
Saturday, June 3, 2023
Wednesday, June 7, 2023
Friday, June 9, 2023
Saturday, June 10, 2023
Sunday, June 11, 2023
Saturday, June 17, 2023
Saturday, June 24, 2023
Saturday, July 1, 2023
Wednesday, July 5, 2023
Saturday, July 8, 2023
Saturday, July 15, 2023
Saturday, July 22, 2023
Saturday, July 29, 2023
Wednesday, August 2, 2023
Saturday, August 5, 2023
Saturday, August 12, 2023
Saturday, August 19, 2023
Saturday, August 26, 2023
Saturday, September 2, 2023
Wednesday, September 6, 2023
Saturday, September 9, 2023
Saturday, September 16, 2023
Saturday, September 23, 2023