Tacoma Museum of Glass is a contemporary art museum on the Thea Foss Waterway. The museum has a national reputation for hosting impactful artist residencies, exhibiting national traveling exhibitions, creating unique programs for visitors, and building a permanent collection that chronicles the development of modern and contemporary glass.
The Museum is the largest of its kind on the West Coast and one of only a few in the country. You can view glass artworks local and national emerging artists as well as masters, watch live glassmaking, and try your hand at glassmaking. There are also a variety of classes and events created just for children.
The Museum of Glass in Tacoma opened in 2002 and has become one of the top attractions in Washington State. It was a dream come true by Phil Phibbs and Dale Chihuly that began 10 years earlier.
Visiting Museum of Glass
Visitors to the Museum of Glass are struck by the unique architecture of the building. The “cone” contains the Hot and Cold shops where every piece of glass is completed start to finish. The stunning “Bridge of Glass” is a 500-foot-long pedestrian bridge defined by a ceiling of Dale Chihuly glass artwork, which can take visitors from the museum into downtown Tacoma.
- Location: Museum of Glass, 1801 Dock Street, Tacoma, WA 98402
- Parking: Paid parking is available in the underground parking lot; enter from the northwest corner of Dock Street, next to the loading dock. Metered street parking is available but limited.
- Hours: Wednesday—Sunday from 10am—5pm
- Regular admission: $18/adult.
Free and discount admission to Tacoma Museum of Glass
- FREE general admission every 3rd Thursday during special hours from 5-8PM.
- FREE admission to miliary via Blue Star program.
- FREE admission with a Tacoma Public Library Museum and Local Attraction Pass |(tacomalibrary.org)
- FREE admission for museum members, plus other benefits. Pays for itself in four museum visits.
- FREE admission for museum volunteers, plus other benefits.
- FREE admission on Sunday for Tacoma HS and college students.
Website: Museum of Glass
Selected events at Tacoma Museum of Glass
Daily Hot Shop Demonstrations. Watch contemporary glass making as the Hot Shop Team and Visiting Artists demonstrate the fascinating process of creating works of art from molten glass.
FREE admission every 3rd Thursday during special evening hours from 5-8PM.
Bridge of Glass + Thea Foss Walking Tour. Reserve in advance, $10 per person. Join a MOG educator to explore the outdoor art and architecture of Chihuly Bridge of Glass, Thea Foss Waterway, and Museum of Glass. Tours last about 45 minutes and include little-known facts about the art and architecture along the waterway. Capacity is limited to ten. Offered seasonally. Check our calendar list below or inquire at the Admission Desk.
Calendar of museum and art gallery events
The following calendar list includes events at museums and art galleries around the Puget Sound region.
Thursday, March 7, 2024
Friday, March 8, 2024
Thursday, March 14, 2024
Thursday, March 21, 2024
Thursday, April 4, 2024
Thursday, April 11, 2024
Friday, April 12, 2024
Thursday, April 18, 2024