2019 Federal Holiday Dates
- Tuesday, January 1: New Year’s Day
- Monday, January 21: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Monday, February 18: President’s Day aka Washington’s Birthday
- Monday, May 27: Memorial Day
- Thursday, July 4: Independence Day
- Monday, September 2: Labor Day
- Monday, October 14: Columbus Day
- Monday, November 11: Veteran’s Day
- Thursday, November 28: Thanksgiving Day
- Wednesday, December 25: Christmas Day
What’s closed and open Thanksgiving Day 2019
Note: we haven’t finished updating this information for 2019. Check back later this week and we’ll have updated info for restaurants, grocery stores, and movies to see over the holiday.
While the trend has been for some retail stores to open on Thanksgiving Day, in 2019 more stores will remain closed for the holiday. The following list of major retailers have announced closure on Thanksgiving Day. You’ll find a more complete list of stores closed on Thanksgiving Day 2019, here.
Retails stores closed on Thanksgiving Day 2019
- Ace Hardware
- Barnes & Noble
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- Fred Meyer
- Home Depot
- Office Depot Office Max
- Petco and PetSmart
- REI Coop
- TJ Maxx
- True Value
The following list of grocery stores are expected to be open on Thanksgiving Day (not an exhaustive list).
Grocery stores open on Thanksgiving Day 2018
- PCC Markets
- Whole Foods.
Businesses closed on all national holidays
In addition to Federal holiday closure, these businesses usually close on early on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.
- Banks and credit unions are closed on all holidays and often have early closure the day before
- Government offices are closed on all holidays, including city, county, and state offices, government buildings, court houses, and services such as licensing.
- Post Offices are closed and there is no mail delivery. However, access to P.O. boxes is usually open. Private mailbox centers usually follow retail store hours.
- Public libraries are closed on holidays. When holidays fall on a Sunday, they may observe a Monday closure.
- Recreation centers at public parks including indoor swimming pools are closed on holidays.
- Schools are closed.
Businesses closed on a few national holidays
- Garbage and recycling pickup: For most customers in the Puget Sound region, there is no garbage pickup on New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. However, garbage service is only delayed by one day. Therefore, if your regular pickup day falls on or after the holiday that week, adjust your pickup day to one day later. On all other holidays, garbage pickup is not adjusted.
- Grocery stores are sometimes closed on New Year’s Day, >Thanksgiving, and Christmas, though closures may vary widely even among chain stores. If they are open, they may have adjusted hours, opening later or closing earlier.
- Restaurants are sometimes closed on New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, except those located in hotels. Restaurants open on holidays may have special menus or hours.
- Retail stores and shopping malls are usually closed on New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Businesses open most holidays
- Grocery stores are open most holidays, except New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, although availability varies widely. Note that hours at chain stores can vary by location and some stores have reduced hours.
- Restaurants are open most holidays, except New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. However, restaurants in hotels are often open on all holidays. Restaurants open on holidays may have special menus or hours.
- Retail stores and shopping malls are open most holidays, except New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Many stores and malls have special sales and extended hours for most holidays, especially those on 3-day weekends.
Businesses open on all holidays
- Movie theaters are usually open on all holidays. In fact, especially on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day, going out to a movie is a tradition for many.
- Parks and outdoor facilities such as boat ramps are open on all holidays, usually dawn to dusk. This includes city, state, and national parks. However, indoor recreation centers are not open, including swimming pools.
- Public transportation usually operates on either a Sunday or holiday schedule, especially commuter routes and services. A few operate on regular schedule and a few also have extended service, such as ferries and busses scheduled to handle extra demand on some three-day weekends or late night July 4th.
2020 Federal Holiday Dates
- Wednesday, January 1: New Year’s Day
- Monday, January 20: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (3rd Monday in January)
- Monday, February 17: President’s Day aka Washington’s Birthday (3rd Monday in February)
- Monday, May 25: Memorial Day (4th Monday in May)
- Saturday, July 4 (July 3): Independence Day
- Monday, September 7: Labor Day 1st Monday in September)
- Monday, October 12: Indigenous People’s Day, formerly Columbus Day (2nd Monday in October)
- Wednesday, November 11: Veteran’s Day
- Thursday, November 26: Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday)
- Friday, December 25: Christmas Day