Seattle Parks and Recreation has announced the schedule for 2023’s set of open street events on Lake Washington Boulevard between Mount Baker and Seward Park. Now dubbed “Bicycle Weekends,” Bicycle Sundays have been a feature on the park-owned arterial street dating back to the late 1960s, with the two-lane street shut down to through traffic so it can be used by people biking, walking, and rolling.
During Bicycle Weekends, Lake Washington Boulevard South becomes a people-friendly open street, with barricades placed late on Saturday morning (by 10am) and removed well before sunset on Sunday at 6pm.
2023 Bicycle Weekends
- May: 20-21; 27-28
- June: 17-18; 24-25
- July: 1-2; 15-16
- August: 19-20; 26-27
- September: 2-3; 16-17
- More info: Lake Washington Bicycle Weekends Make a Scaled-Back Summer 2023 Return – The Urbanist
Here’s a list of nearby Seattle parks with free parking (listed from north to south along the Bicycle Sunday route):
- Colman Park, 1800 Lake Washington Blvd. S, Seattle, WA 98144
- Mount Baker Park Beach, 2521 Lake Park Dr. S, Seattle, WA 98144. Follow Lakeside Dr. to Lake Wash. Blvd., entrance the beach parking lot is to the right.
- Stan Sayres Memorial Park, 3808 Lake Washington Blvd. S, Seattle, WA 98118. Access Stan Sayres from 43 Ave. S. between 10am-6pm.
- Lake Washington Blvd S and 49 Ave S, Seattle, WA 98118
- For a map of these and other parking locations, see: SHS_LWB_3Mile_Map (seattle.gov)
Bike Riding Tips for families
- Make sure your child has a bike appropriate for their size. Under the age of six, consider a bike trailer, an attachable seat on your bike, or small bike with training wheels. Around the age of 6-8 you can consider a “real” bike.
- Every rider must always wear a properly fitted helmet that is in good condition.
- Dress for the weather in layers. Especially avoid loose hair, garments, or straps that can catch on the bicycle or passing objects.
- Stay visible on every ride by wearing high visibility (yellow or orange) clothing and reflectors or tape on the bike.
- Be alert when riding; watch both the terrain and your surroundings. Use caution around other bikes and vehicles, and while on sidewalks with pedestrians.
- Before the ride, check each bike for tire pressure and working breaks–children can be taught to check their own bike.
- Before each ride, remind your child about the rules of the road, hand signals, riding safely, and staying together.
- Pack snacks and water in a backpack or pannier to ensure everyone stays hydrated and energized.
- On family rides, young children need to stay with you until they are ready to ride off by themselves–which they will think they are ready to do long before you.
Calendar of upcoming free and cheap events
Listed below are upcoming affordable events of all types from our calendar.
Monday, October 2, 2023
Tuesday, October 3, 2023
Wednesday, October 4, 2023
Thursday, October 5, 2023
Friday, October 6, 2023
Saturday, October 7, 2023
Sunday, October 8, 2023
Monday, October 9, 2023
Tuesday, October 10, 2023
Wednesday, October 11, 2023
Thursday, October 12, 2023
Friday, October 13, 2023
Saturday, October 14, 2023
Sunday, October 15, 2023
Monday, October 16, 2023
Tuesday, October 17, 2023
Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Thursday, October 19, 2023
Friday, October 20, 2023
Saturday, October 21, 2023
Sunday, October 22, 2023
Monday, October 23, 2023
Tuesday, October 24, 2023
Wednesday, October 25, 2023
Thursday, October 26, 2023
Friday, October 27, 2023
Saturday, October 28, 2023
Sunday, October 29, 2023
Monday, October 30, 2023
Tuesday, October 31, 2023
Lake Washington Blvd S