Earshot Jazz in Seattle cultivates a vibrant jazz community in the Puget Sound region to ensure the legacy and progression of the art form. Earshot encourages creative growth and jazz appreciation for students of all ages, and musicians and non-musicians alike by promoting jazz performance in venues throughout the region, annual concert series, and jazz education.
To cultivate jazz in the community, Earshot Jazz commissions new works by recognized artists, hosts benefit fundraising concerts for school and community jazz programs, plays a leadership role in national and regional jazz touring collaboration, and produces a variety of jazz events throughout the year.
In addition, the Earshot Jazz Magazine is a monthly news magazine celebrating more than 30 years of publication and the region’s only comprehensive calendar of local and regional jazz events, distributed free of charge.
Earshot jazz hosts the following key annual events.
Earshot Jazz Festival
The Earshot Jazz Festival brings jazz greats from around the world into creative collaboration with Seattle area audiences and artists. Earshot celebrates Seattle’s place in the world of jazz with mainstage concerts by Earshot award-winning student ensembles and a strong representation by Seattle’s renowned resident artists.
When: held every fall at venues around Seattle.
Tickets: $15-$55. Sold separately and priced per venue. For a list of concerts or to purchase tickets, visit: https://www.earshot.org/2019-earshot-jazz-festival/.
Discount “Pick Your own” ticket packages are available online for most Earshot Jazz concerts. For more details, visit: https://earshot.secure.force.com/ticket.
- Select FIVE or more separate shows and save 10% on your order. Use discount code SAVE10 at checkout.
- Select EIGHT or more separate shows and save 15% on your order. Use discount code SAVE15 at checkout.
How to get discount tickets to Earshot Jazz Festival
- Earshot members receive a discount on most shows.
- Seniors, students, and military can receive a discount when they present valid ID at each venue.
- Ticket Packages: Save when you buy a package of several concert tickets.
- Tickets Passes: Get you into all concerts. Benefits include substantial savings off regular price and Preferred seating for most events.
- Volunteer with the Earshot Jazz Festival to help behind-the-scenes with ushering, ticketing, and hospitality. And, if some of the music happens to fall on your ears, well hey.
Earshot Jazz presents Ellington’s Sacred Music in Seattle
Duke Ellington’s “Sacred Music” is a reverent and hip body of jazz composition written late in his career for jazz big band, vocal, and instrumental soloists, a gospel choir, and tap dancers. Ellington’s compositions for these concerts drew heavily on earlier pieces, which were then augmented to convey an intense emotion and reverence. The pieces belied Ellington’s spirituality that was derived from his roots in the Baptist Church.
Ellington stated this was the most important music he’d ever written. However, because of the scale of the music and the sheer number of artists needed to execute each work, Ellington’s sacred music concert has rarely been performed.
For over 25 years, Earshot Jazz has presented an annual concert of Ellington’s Sacred Music. The concert features the Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra, co-directed by Michael Brockman and Clarence Acox, the NW Chamber Chorus guest vocalists, and special guest tap dancer.
Tickets: Regular seating: Adult $30. Preferred seating (front and center sections): Adult $40. Discounts available for seniors, military, and Earshot members. For more information or tickets, visit: https://www.earshot.org/ellingtons-sacred-music/
Other Earshot Jazz events
- Jazz: The Second Century takes place in June. The juried series is a current look at Seattle jazz artists selected by a peer panel who perform original work in a concert setting.
- Earshot: Art of Jazz Series takes place every second Thursday, September-June at Seattle Art Museum (SAM) and July-August at SAM’s Olympic Sculpture Park. Art of Jazz is sponsored by KNKX. Free and open to the public. More info on the SAM calendar: http://www1.seattleartmuseum.org/calendar.
Earshot Jazz community calendar
Earshot Jazz maintains a community calendar of live music performances around the Puget Sound region, many at venues listed above. It’s a great resource to check anytime you are searching for music to soothe your soul. You’ll find someone playing somewhere almost every night of the year.
See also our big list of live music venues (all genres).