Earshot Jazz in Seattle cultivates a vibrant jazz community in the Puget Sound region to ensure the legacy and progression of the art form. Earshot encourages creative growth and jazz appreciation for students of all ages, and musicians and non-musicians alike by promoting jazz performance in venues throughout the region, annual concert series, and jazz education.
To cultivate jazz in the community, Earshot Jazz commissions new works by recognized artists, hosts benefit fundraising concerts for school and community jazz programs, plays a leadership role in national and regional jazz touring collaboration, and produces a variety of jazz events throughout the year.
In addition, the Earshot Jazz Magazine is a monthly news magazine celebrating more than 30 years of publication and the region’s only comprehensive calendar of local and regional jazz events, distributed free of charge.
Earshot jazz hosts the following key annual events.
Love our cheap ideas? Get our FREE email newsletters.
Choose from daily, weekly, and monthly lists:
Earshot Jazz Festival
Jazz teaches us to listen, learn, and improvise.
The Annual Earshot Jazz Festival brings jazz greats from around the world into creative collaboration with Seattle area audiences and artists. Earshot celebrates Seattle’s place in the world of jazz with mainstage concerts by Earshot award-winning student ensembles and a strong representation by Seattle’s renowned resident artists.
Held every fall at venues around Seattle. Tickets are sold separately and priced per venue, packages are available to save you money on individual performance prices.
2021 Earshot Jazz Festival October 13 – November 7
Live jazz, with real people, in the same room, is one of the best things in the world – now, more than ever. Tickets are $10-$50. Here’s the lineup.
- WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 13 Theo Croker: BLK2LIFE $10–50 Langston Hughes Performing Arts Institute
- THURSDAY OCTOBER 14 The Eugenie Jones Journey featuring Velocity $10–50 Langston Hughes Performing Arts Institute
- FRIDAY OCTOBER 15 Marina Albero $10–25 Town Hall Seattle, The Forum
- FRIDAY OCTOBER 15 Meridian Odyssey $10–50 The Royal Room
- SATURDAY OCTOBER 16 Community Conversation “Taking a Good Hard Look at Ourselves” / Livestream
- SATURDAY OCTOBER 16 Kareem Kandi World Orchestra $10–50 The Royal Room
- SUNDAY OCTOBER 17 Jamie Baum Septet+ $10–50 Town Hall Seattle, The Forum
- MONDAY OCTOBER 18 William Parker, Hamid Drake, & Patricia Nicholson $10–50 Chapel Performance Space
- WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 20 Jazz: The Second Century Series Watch Party/ Free /Livestream
- THURSDAY OCTOBER 21 Duets: Dianne Reeves, Chucho Valdés, & Joe Lovano $10–75 Town Hall Seattle, The Great Hall
- FRIDAY OCTOBER 22 Immanuel Wilkins Quartet $10–50 Langston Hughes Performing Arts Institute
- FRIDAY OCTOBER 22 The Tiptons feat, Correo Aereo: Mujer o Bruja? $10–50 The Chapel Performance Space
- SATURDAY OCTOBER 23 The Tiptons Feat, Correo Aereo: Mujer o Bruja? $10–20 The Chapel Performance Space
- SATURDAY OCTOBER 23 Giveton Gelin Quintet $10–50 Langston Hughes Performing Arts Institute
- SATURDAY OCTOBER 23 Marina Albero w/ Roosevelt High School Jazz Band $10–50 Livestream
- SUNDAY OCTOBER 24 Seattle JazzOffering w /Reggie Goings & Friends Free/ Langston Hughes Performing Arts Institute
- SUNDAY OCTOBER 24 Samara Joy w/ Sullivan Fortner $10–50 Langston Hughes Performing Arts Institute
- TUESDAY OCTOBER 26 Erika Dohi $10–50 Chapel Performance Space
- TUESDAY OCTOBER 26 Dawn Clement Trio w/ Matt Wilson $10–50 Town Hall Seattle, The Forum
- WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 27 Francesco Crosara Trio $10–50 Town Hall Seattle, The Forum
- THURSDAY OCTOBER 28 Alex Dugdale CD Release $10–20 Egan’s Ballard Jam House
- FRIDAY OCTOBER 29 Scenes $10–50 Town Hall Seattle, The Forum
- Darelle Holden $10–560 Langston Hughes Performing Arts Institute
- SATURDAY OCTOBER 30 Community Conversation “Face The Music: Confronting Racism with American Music”/ Livestream
- SATURDAY OCTOBER 30 Dee Daniels: Tribute to John Lewis $10–50 Langston Hughes Performing Arts Institute
- SATURDAY OCTOBER 30 Chava Mirel $10–50 The Royal Room
- SATURDAY OCTOBER 30 Marina Albero: The Quarantine Sessions $10–50 The Royal Room
- WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 3 George Colligan Quartet $10–50 Town Hall Seattle, The Forum
- WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 3 Mark Lewis Quartet $10–50 The Royal Room
- THURSDAY NOVEMBER 4 Benny Green $10–50 Town Hall Seattle, The Forum
- THURSDAY NOVEMBER 4 Ann Reynolds Celebrating Women Composers $10–50 The Chapel Performance Space
- THURSDAY NOVEMBER 4 Elnah Jordan & Eric Verlinde $10–50 The Royal Room
- FRIDAY NOVEMBER 5 Marina Albero Trio featuring Ganesh Rajagopalan $10–50 Town Hall Seattle, The Forum
- SATURDAY NOVEMBER 6 Community Conversation “Why Mentorship Matters” / Livestream
- SATURDAY NOVEMBER 6 Jay Clayton, Gary Versace, & Ed Neumeister $10–50 The Royal Room
- SATURDAY NOVEMBER 6 SRJO Plays Horace Silver $20–50 Nordstrom Recital Hall at Benaroya
- SUNDAY NOVEMBER 7 SRJO Plays Horace Silver $20–50 Kirkland Performance Center
Buy tickets or more info: 2021 Festival – Earshot Jazz
Earshot Jazz presents Ellington’s Sacred Music in Seattle
Duke Ellington’s “Sacred Music” is a reverent and hip body of jazz composition written late in his career for jazz big band, vocal, and instrumental soloists, a gospel choir, and tap dancers. Ellington’s compositions for these concerts drew heavily on earlier pieces, which were then augmented to convey an intense emotion and reverence. The pieces belied Ellington’s spirituality that was derived from his roots in the Baptist Church.
Ellington stated this was the most important music he’d ever written. However, because of the scale of the music and the sheer number of artists needed to execute each work, Ellington’s sacred music concert has rarely been performed.
For over 25 years, Earshot Jazz has presented an annual concert of Ellington’s Sacred Music. The concert features the Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra, co-directed by Michael Brockman and Clarence Acox, the NW Chamber Chorus guest vocalists, and special guest tap dancer.
Tickets: Regular seating: Adult $30. Preferred seating (front and center sections): Adult $40. Discounts available for seniors, military, and Earshot members. For more information or tickets, visit: https://www.earshot.org/ellingtons-sacred-music/
2020 Livestream: Earshot Jazz ‘Sacred Music’ concert by Duke Ellington
For the past 31 years Earshot Jazz has presented an annual concert of Ellington’s Sacred Music.
This December the event will be a little different. The program includes video and audio footage from previous presentations, plus new duo and solo performances recorded exclusively for tonight’s event.
Join Earshot in 2020 for the world’s longest running presentation of Duke Ellington’s sacred music, presented in partnership with the Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra.
- When: Saturday, December 26, 2020, 7:00 PM, Livestream Copresented with Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra
- Tickets: go on sale November 25.
Other Earshot Jazz events
- Jazz: The Second Century takes place in June. The juried series is a current look at Seattle jazz artists selected by a peer panel who perform original work in a concert setting.
- Earshot: Art of Jazz Series takes place every second Thursday, September-June at Seattle Art Museum (SAM) and July-August at SAM’s Olympic Sculpture Park. Art of Jazz is sponsored by KNKX. Free and open to the public. More info on the SAM calendar: http://www1.seattleartmuseum.org/calendar.
Earshot Jazz community calendar
Earshot Jazz maintains a community calendar of live music performances around the Puget Sound region, many at venues listed above. It’s a great resource to check anytime you are searching for music to soothe your soul. You’ll find someone playing somewhere almost every night of the year.
But wait, there’s more!
- Our big list of live music venues (all genres).
- Our big list of music festivals in Washington State.
- Here’s a list of 101+ always free things to do for fun.
- More free and cheap things to do every day: Greater Seattle on the Cheap event calendar.
- Still more ideas for frugal fun: Greater Seattle on the Cheap home page.
Love our cheap ideas? Get our FREE email newsletters. Choose from daily, weekly, and monthly lists. Click here to subscribe.
Calendar of live music events
The following calendar list includes upcoming live and live stream music events in all genres. We update music events on a rolling basis all year long. We also try to have several free and low cost live music events on the calendar every weekend.