After the Civil War ended in 1865, Americans began to hold tributes to our fallen soldiers. In 1868, May 30 was designated as “Decoration Day”, when soldiers graves were decorated in remembrance of their ultimate sacrifice. In 1968, Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act to take effect in 1971, establishing Memorial Day as the last Monday and also declaring it a federal holiday in honor of all service men and women who have died in U.S. wars.
- Monday, May 30 2022 is Memorial Day, a Federal holiday always celebrated on the last Monday in May. Memorial Day honors men and women who have died while serving in the U.S. military.
To observe Memorial Day, many military cemeteries and war memorials hold commemorative events to honor and remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country. There are a variety of other meaningful events, such as military parades, concerts, memorial speeches, and flags placed on military gravesites.
The holiday weekend is also the unofficial beginning of summer with time devoted to retails sales and shopping, barbecues and picnics, and friends and family. Many retailers and restaurants offer many discounts and freebies over the weekend.
What’s closed and open Memorial Day 2022
- Closed: All government facilities, non-retail businesses or services (banks, offices, etc.), public libraries and community centers, and schools are closed. Post offices are closed and there is no mail delivery. Paid street parking is free on Federal holidays.
- Open: Retail stores, shopping malls, grocery stores, restaurants, movie theaters, parks, and golf courses are open. Garbage collection is normal.
Public Transportation: Some public transportation operates on reduced service, especially commuter routes. Others operate on regular or holiday schedule. For specific route information, here are the links to public transit services in the Puget Sound region:
- Everett Transit (see: Everett holiday service list)
- Kitsap Transit (see: Kitsap holiday service list)
- Washington State ferries operate throughout Puget Sound. See: ferry schedules by date. There may be extra service on some routes. Get free travel alertsvia email or text message to stay informed of conditions on your route.
- Seattle/King County Metro buses (see: Metro holiday service list)
- Community Transit / Snohomish County Transit (see: CT holiday service list)
- Sound Transit / Link light rail and commuter trains (see: Rail holiday service list)
- Tacoma/Pierce County Transit (see: Pierce holiday service list)
Listed below is a complete list of holidays this year and next year.
2022 National Holiday Dates
Listed below are the 11 Federal Holidays for 2022 (opm.gov)
- *Saturday, January 1: New Year’s Day (observed Friday, December 31)
- Monday, January 17: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (3rd Monday in January)
- Monday, February 21: Washington’s Birthday aka President’s Day (3rd Monday in February)
- Monday, May 30: Memorial Day (4th Monday in May)
- *Sunday, June 19: Juneteenth National Independence Day (observed Monday, June 20) (always June 19)
- Monday, July 4: Independence Day (always July 4)
- Monday, September 5: Labor Day (1st Monday in September)
- Monday, October 11: **Columbus Day (national), Indigenous People’s Day (WA state) (2nd Monday in October)
- Friday, November 11: Veterans Day (always November 11)
- Thursday, November 24: Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday)
- *Sunday, December 25: Christmas Day (observed Monday, December 25) (always December 25)
*When federal holidays fall on a Saturday or Sunday, they are observed on Friday or Monday.
**Columbus Day is still the federally recognized holiday though many states have adopted other names
2022 Other Holidays & Special Events
Listed below are some of the other major celebrations throughout the year that are not official federal or state holidays, but Greater Seattle on the Cheap may promote via free and cheap events.
- Monday, February 14: Valentine’s Day
- Tuesday, March 1, Mardi Gras
- Thursday, March 17, St. Patrick’s Day
- Sunday, April 17, Easter
- Thursday, May 5, Cinco de Mayo
- Sunday, May 8: Mother’s Day (2nd Sunday in May)
- Sunday, June 19: Father’s Day (3rd Sunday in June)
- Sunday, August 7, Seafair Sunday
- Monday, October 31, Halloween
- Tuesday, November 1, Day of the Dead
- Friday, November 25: Black Friday and Native American Heritage Day (day after Thanksgiving Day)
2023 National Holiday Dates
- Sunday, January 1: New Year’s Day
- Monday, January 2: New Year’s Day (observed)
- Monday, January 16: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (3rd Monday in January)
- Monday, February 20: President’s Day aka Washington’s Birthday (3rd Monday in February)
- Monday, May 29: Memorial Day (4th Monday in May)
- Tuesday, July 4: Independence Day
- Monday, September 4: Labor Day (1st Monday in September)
- Monday, October 9: Indigenous People’s Day aka Columbus Day (2nd Monday in October)
- Friday, November 10: Veteran’s Day (observed)
- Saturday, November 11: Veteran’s Day
- Thursday, November 23: Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday)
- Monday, December 25: Christmas Day
2023 Other Holidays & Special Events
- Tuesday, February 14: Valentine’s Day
- Tuesday, February 21: Mardi Gras
- Tuesday, March 7: Holi (Festival of Colors)
- Friday, March 17: St. Patrick’s Day
- Thursday, March 23: Ramadan begins (ends Saturday, April 22 with Eid al-Fitr)
- Wednesday, April 5: Passover begins at sundown
- Sunday, April 9: Easter Sunday
- Monday, April 18: Federal Income Tax Day
- Friday, May 5: Cinco de Mayo
- Sunday, May 14: Mother’s Day (2nd Sunday in May)
- Sunday, June 18: Father’s Day (3rd Sunday in June)
- Monday, June 19: Juneteenth
- Sunday, August 6: Seafair Sunday
- Tuesday, October 31: Halloween
- Wednesday, November 1: Day of the Dead
- Friday, November 24: Black Friday aka Native American Heritage Day (day after Thanksgiving)
- Friday, December 7: Chanukah (Hanukkah) begins at sundown
- Sunday, December 31: New Year’s Eve
Event calendar for Memorial Day weekend
Listed below are events on our calendar over the long Memorial Day weekend.
Friday, May 27, 2022
Saturday, May 28, 2022
Sunday, May 29, 2022
Monday, May 30, 2022