Here’s our list of Veteran’s Day events, including a long list of discounts and free stuff for active military and veterans at restaurants and retailers in Seattle and around the Puget Sound region
Puget Sound Veteran’s Day Events Honoring Our Military
Ceremony at Veterans Monument in Mill Creek. November 11, 9:00 a.m. Join the Mill Creek community to honor those who have served in the United States Armed Forces. The Veterans Monument includes a courtyard of pavers surrounding a flagpole centerpiece with six basalt columns engraved with the names of men and women who served in the armed forces of this country. Native plantings in reds, whites, and blues to enhance the natural beauty of the site and monument. Library Park, 15429 Bothell-Everett Hwy, Mill Creek, WA 98012.
Remembrance Ceremony and Lighting of the Flame in Auburn. November 11, 9:45 AM – 10:15 AM. The flame is lit and guarded through the night at the Veterans Memorial at Veterans Memorial Park, 411 E Street NE, Auburn, WA. Wreath placement, rifle salute, prayers and taps encompass this ceremony, held from 9:45 AM – 10:15 AM on Saturday, November 11.
Veteran’s Day Celebration in Lynnwood. November 11, 10:30 AM – 1:00 PM. Everyone is welcome to this multi-cultural celebration honoring our service men and women. Join the Veterans of Foreign War Post 1040, the City of Lynnwood, and the Northwest Junior Pipe Band for the annual Veterans Day Ceremony held at Veterans Park, 44th Avenue West and Veterans Way (194th Street Southwest) in Lynnwood, WA.
52nd Annual Veterans Day Parade in Auburn. November 11, 11:00 a.m. Auburn, Washington is designated by the Veterans Day National Committee and the US Department of Veterans Affairs as a Regional Site for celebration of Veterans Day 2017. The City of Auburn is proud to be a Vietnam War Commemorative Partner. Auburn has hosted the Veterans Day Parade since 1965. Now in its 52nd year, the parade has grown into one of the largest Veteran’s Day parades in the United States of America. The parade travels along Main Street from E Street to A Street SW/NW.
Veterans Day Parade at Mill Creek Town Center. November 11, 11:00 a.m. Bring the whole family to this parade honoring those who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces. The parade meanders down Mill Creek’s Main Street from LA Fitness to City Hall (15024 Main St. to 15720 Main St.). The event features floats, bands, drill teams, equestrian teams, kids groups, and other dancers, cars and parading attractions. Bring a chair and arrive along the parade route early. This event is outdoors – so please dress accordingly.
Veterans Day Gathering of Remembrance and Honoring in Tulalip. November 11, 11:00 AM. A community event in observance of Veterans Day, the Hibulb Cultural Center offers free admission to veterans and current military of all armed forces, and their families, as one of the ways of showing our appreciation to those whose service reflects the best of selflessness and patriotism. Event is free for others with price of museum admission.
Veterans Day Parade and Celebration in Stanwood. November 11, 11:00 AM. Area veterans will be honored for their service and sacrifice with a parade through Stanwood’s west end. The parade led by a joint service Honor Guard will proceed south on 99th Ave NW to 270th Street NW and then west to 102nd Avenue NW, then turn north ending at the Floyd Norgaard Cultural Center. A flag raising ceremony will take place at the new Veterans Memorial now under construction followed by a program inside the Floyd featuring the anthems of all branches of service and speakers Representative Dave Hayes and Stanwood Mayor Leonard Kelly. The Honor Guards leading the parade include the Arlington High School Air Force JROTC, Oak Harbor High School Navy JROTC and the National Guard stationed in Arlington. All veterans are welcome to march in the parade. Free food and refreshments will be provided by the Stanwood Area Historical Society.
Veterans Day Ceremony on the University of Washington Campus. November 11, 11:00 – 12:30 p.m. Part of Veterans Appreciation Week to honor the men and women throughout our region for their dedication and service in our U.S. Armed Forces. The ceremony includes recognition of the recipient of the Distinguished Alumni Veteran Award, speakers, presentation of the colors and a performance by the Husky Band followed by a reception from 11:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. No RSVP is required for this event. Parking is free on campus all day.
Veterans Day Celebration at Shoreline City Hall, November 11, 2:00 PM. The Shoreline Veterans Association, with support from the Starr Sutherland, Jr. American Legion Post 227 and the City of Shoreline, will hold its annual Veterans Day Celebration honoring all U.S. military veterans. The event is open to the public. All veterans of any U.S. military service and all who want to honor their service are invited to this annual recognition event. A short program will be followed by refreshments. Shoreline City Hall, 17500 Midvale Ave N, Shoreline, WA 98133.
Actress Tames Alan on Women at the Western Front at Everett Library, Sunday, November 19, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM. In honor of Veterans Day, Tames Alan and Everett Public Library present a free program about women’s experience working on the Western Front of the Great War (World War I). Historian and actress Alan will perform in uniforms these women would have worn.
Free and discount admission for Veterans around Puget Sound
- Free admission (1/2 off for family) to Northwest Trek, November 10-12, 9:30 am – 3:00 pm. FREE admission to all individuals who are currently serving or have honorably served in the U.S. military. Immediate family members will receive half-off general admission. Please be sure to bring your active military/veteran identification card, discharge papers, DD214s, or any other proof of honorable US military service with you.
- Free admission (1/2 off for family) to Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, November 10-12, 9:30 am – 4:00 pm. Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium in Tacoma is offering FREE admission to all individuals who are currently serving or have honorably served in the U.S. military. Immediate family members will receive half-off general admission. To receive your discount, bring your active military/veteran identification card, discharge papers, DD214s, or any other proof of honorable US military service.
- Free admission (+ spouse) to Woodland Park Zoo. November 11, 9:30 AM – 4:00 PM. Free admission to all active, veteran and retired U.S. military personnel and their spouses with valid service identification. In addition, up to four family members accompanying heroes with valid ID receive $5 off admission on Veterans Day.
- Discount admission to the Museum of Flight (MOF). November 11, 11:00am to 1:00pm. The Museum of Flight honors America’s Veterans with a ceremony featuring retired USMC Col. Dean Caswell, World War II ace fighter pilot and President of the American Fighter Aces Association. The Boeing Employee’s Concert Band will begin the ceremony with an hour of patriotic music. Following the ceremony, a special commemoration will take place in the Museum lobby, which will display the Congressional Gold Medal recently awarded to the American Fighter Aces for their service to the country. MOF offers Veterans/Retiree discount admission all year with valid Veteran/Retiree ID (show at Admissions desk). (MOF also participates in the Blue Star program for active military families; the program allows for the Military ID holder and up to 5 family members to visit the Museum for free between Memorial Day and Labor Day.)
Seattle food deals for Veterans
- Ivar’s offers a complimentary seafood entrée to veterans during both lunch and dinner on November 11 at restaurants and seafood bars. No purchase required. Not valid at stadium locations.
- Kidd Valley a complimentary meal to veterans consisting of a mini cheeseburger, fries, and regular drink.
National freebies and deals for Veterans
- Enterprise Car Sales: Active U.S. military members, veterans and dependents will receive a Firestone Prepaid Maintenance Package gift card (no card expiration in WA) with their used vehicle purchase during the month of November. (Not valid in CA and OR.)
- Free car wash through Grace for Vets: Free car wash for veterans and military members at many area car washes, including Brown Bear, Shur-Kleen, Elephant, Shell stations, and many others across Washington state. Check their website for your nearest location.
- Free hair cuts at Great Clips: On Veterans Day, November 11, all customers who purchase a service at a U.S. great Clips salon get a free haircut card to give to a veteran you know. Limit one card per customer, while supplies last. Veterans and active service members who come on November 11 receive either a free haircut that day or the free haircut card to use at a later date. Haircut Cards are redeemable until December 31.
- Meineke car service discount: OCT 14 – NOV 24 get up to 45% OFF select total car care services. Visit their website and enter your zip code for details.
- National Parks and Washington State Parks have free entrance for everyone on Veterans Day, so this might be a good time for a short getaway.
- Red Roof Inn: honors active military and veterans with exclusive travel discounts of 10%-20%.
National food freebies and deals for Veterans
Note: most of these deals are from 2016 and have not yet been verified for 2017, except those with *.
- Applebees: Veterans and military can choose from one of seven signature menu items for free on November 11, and receive a $5 off coupon to use Nov. 12-27, 2016.
- BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse: Free entrée under $12.95 for veterans and military and $5 BJ’s beers for everyone on Friday, November 11.
- Bonefish Grill: Active and retired service members with valid military ID get free Bang Bang Shrimp on November 11.
- California Pizza Kitchen: Complimentary entrée for current and past military from a special Veterans Day menu at participating California Pizza Kitchen restaurants on November 11.
- Chipotle is giving a BOGO burrito, bowl, salad, or order of tacos on November 11 to all U.S. active-duty, reserve, retired, veteran, and National Guard service members and their spouses with military ID.
- Denny’s: Active, inactive and retired military personnel can stop by for a free Build Your Own Grand Slam on Friday, Nov. 11, from 5 a.m. to noon.
- *Golden Corral: Military Appreciation Day is Monday, November 13. Active military and veterans can dine-in on the house from 5pm-9pm.
- Hooters: All veterans and active duty military get a free entrée on November 11.
- IHOP: Free Red, White and Blue pancakes (glazed strawberries, blueberry compote and whipped cream) to veterans and active duty military on November 11, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- *McCormick & Schmick’s: Free entrée for Veterans and Gold Star honorees (parents and spouse) on Sunday, November 5.
- Olive Garden: On November 11, veterans and active duty military get a free entrée from a special menu, along with salad and breadsticks. Family members dining with the veteran or military member get 10% off their meals too.
- *On the Border: November 11, veterans and active duty military members get a free “Create Your Own Combo” meal, which features soup or salad, tacos, tostadas, enchiladas, and other options at participating locations.
- Red Lobster: Veterans and active duty military members get a free appetizer or dessert November 10 and 11.
- *Red Robin: Active military and veterans get a free Double Tavern Burger along with Bottomless Steak Fries on November 11.
- *Ruby Tuesday: Veterans, active military and reserve get a free appetizer November 11.
- Sizzler: Veterans and active military personnel receive a free lunch at participating locations on November 11 until 4 p.m. The meal includes choice of steak, chicken or shrimp entrée with beverage.
- TGI Fridays: On Friday, November 11, guests who show their military ID will be treated to a free lunch menu item up to $12 from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. local time.
- Twin Peaks FREE menu item for current and former military members with valid ID from the Veterans Day Appreciation Menu.
- Wienerschnitzel: Complimentary Chili Dog, small fries and 20 oz. drink is redeemable at participating Wienerschnitzel locations on Friday, November 11 only, with valid military ID or by wearing a military uniform.
- Village Inn: Show proof of military service and receive a free INN-credible V.I.B breakfast on November 11.