Here are our suggestions for Father’s Day gifts and things to do. Mostly, they’re ideas for spending time with your dad, doing something he likes to do. Whether your dad is an indoor or outdoor guy, we found a little something for everyone.
About Father’s Day
In the United States, Father’s Day is celebrated the third Sunday in June. It’s a day to honor father’s, celebrate fatherhood, and recognize the influence of fathers on families and children.
The country’s first Father’s Day was celebrated in 1910, right here in the state of Washington. Sonora Smart Dodd of Spokane, who was raised by a single father, was successful in getting the state to establish the first Father’s Day. The idea spread across the country. However, the day did not become an official national celebration until 1972.
Many people decry the over-commercialization of holidays. And Father’s Day is no exception.
But, we’ve got lots of suggestions below for a meaningful Father’s Day that won’t break the bank. Use our ideas to find the perfect Father’s Day gift, dine out for brunch or dinner, or simply spend some time with him on a special outing. It’s a day to acknowledge your dad and honor the contributions and sacrifices he made for you.
Father’s Day Gift Ideas
Note that typical Father’s Day gift items tend to increase in price shortly before the holiday. These include dad-favorites such as barbecue grills and accessories, wallets, and watches. If you plan to gift him one of these, try to purchase the item in advance to save a little money.
Other dad-worthy gifts include gifts related to his interests and hobbies, such as fishing, concert tickets, logo gear for his favorite sports team, technology products, or music. Most sources suggest you forgo the “world’s best dad” gifts, ties, novelty items, or kitschy gifts and gadgets.
For ideas and inspiration, check our list of the Best retailers for gift ideas, party supplies, holiday décor.
Here’s a great list of websites offering customizable, free and printable greeting cards and eCards for Father’s Day (and many other special occasion). A few sites also offer awards, certificates, and coloring pages featuring more ways to honor DAD on his special day. This is a great way for smaller children to do something personal and special for Dad.
- 123Greetings Father’s Day cards offer many way to show express your love with warm Father’s Day ecards and let him know how much you appreciate how he loves you and guides you each and every day.
- Blue Mountain Father’s Day cards offers an outstanding selection of printable Father’s Day cards sure to put a smile on any father’s face. Free downloads and free trial for print-at-home cards.
- DaySpring eCards free eCards and reasonably priced, high-quality religious cards enable you to share your Christian faith. Purchase cards by occasion, product, or season, reinforced with scriptures taken from various translations of the Bible.
- DLTK Father’s Day Printables include awards, certificates, and coloring pages for DAD.
- Greeting Island Father’s Day Cards feature customizable and printable cards in a unique variety of cute designs and sentiments.
- Hoover Web Design Father’s Day greeting card template is blank and is ready for your creativity. Write a special message to father about what a great dad he is.
- MEScards for Father’s Day to personalize and print for fathers, grandfathers, a new dad, a dad-to-be, a brother or friend.
- Printfree.com Printable Father’s Day Cards include a menagerie of animal designs for any dad.
- Disney Family Father’s Day cards and printables.
Father’s Day Brunch or Dinner
If you plan to dine out with dad, check our list of Best affordable restaurants for Father’s Day at Seattle-Tacoma restaurants, which focuses on popular local restaurants with modest prices for brunch or dinner.
Things to do Father’s Day weekend 2019
(If nothing is listed below, this year’s Father’s Day events haven’t been updated on our calendar. We usually begin to update Father’s Day events in May for the upcoming year.)