We’ve got lots of Father’s Day ideas for a meaningful celebration that won’t break the bank. Use our suggestions to find the perfect Father’s Day gift, dine out for brunch or dinner, or simply spend some time with him on a special outing. It’s a day to acknowledge your dad and honor the contributions and sacrifices he made for you.
In the United States, Father’s Day is celebrated the third Sunday in June. It’s a day to celebrate fatherhood and recognize the influence of fathers on families and children.
The country’s first Father’s Day was celebrated in 1910, right here in the state of Washington. Sonora Smart Dodd of Spokane, who was raised by a single father, was successful in getting the state to establish the first Father’s Day. The idea spread across the country. However, the day did not become an official national celebration until 1972.
Father’s Day Gift Ideas
Note that typical Father’s Day gift items tend to increase in price shortly before the holiday. These include dad-favorites such as barbecue grills and accessories, wallets, and watches. If you plan to gift him one of these, try to purchase the item in advance to save a little money.
Other dad-worthy gifts include gifts related to his interests and hobbies, such as fishing or boating, logo gear for his favorite sports team, technology products, concert tickets or music, cooking tools, or any other interest he may have. I have men in my life who crochet and are birdwatchers. Most sources suggest you forgo the “world’s best dad” gifts, ties, novelty items, or kitschy gifts and gadgets. But whatever you think honors your dad is a good gift.
For ideas and inspiration, check our list of the Best retailers for gift ideas, party supplies, holiday décor.
Here’s a great list of websites offering customizable, free and printable greeting cards and eCards for Father’s Day (and many other special occasion). A few sites also offer awards, certificates, and coloring pages featuring more ways to honor DAD on his special day. This is a great way for smaller children to do something personal and special for Dad.
- 123Greetings Father’s Day cards offer many way to show express your love with warm Father’s Day ecards and let him know how much you appreciate how he loves you and guides you each and every day.
- Blue Mountain Father’s Day cards offers an outstanding selection of printable Father’s Day cards sure to put a smile on any father’s face. Free downloads and free trial for print-at-home cards.
- DaySpring eCards free eCards and reasonably priced, high-quality religious cards enable you to share your Christian faith. Purchase cards by occasion, product, or season, reinforced with scriptures taken from various translations of the Bible.
- DLTK Father’s Day Printables include awards, certificates, and coloring pages for DAD.
- Greeting Island Father’s Day Cards feature customizable and printable cards in a unique variety of cute designs and sentiments.
- Hoover Web Design Father’s Day greeting card template is blank and is ready for your creativity. Write a special message to father about what a great dad he is.
- MEScards for Father’s Day to personalize and print for fathers, grandfathers, a new dad, a dad-to-be, a brother or friend.
- Printfree.com Printable Father’s Day Cards include a menagerie of animal designs for any dad.
Father’s Day Dining
If you plan to dine out with dad, check our list of Best affordable restaurants for Father’s Day at Seattle-Tacoma restaurants, which focuses on popular local restaurants with modest prices for brunch or dinner.
Things to do for Father’s Day 2023
Listed below are events and things to do from our calendar over Father’s Day Weekend.
Friday, June 16, 2023
Saturday, June 17, 2023
Sunday, June 18, 2023