National Fishing and Boating Week, a national celebration that takes place the first week of June every year. The celebration highlights the ways in which fishing and recreational boating enhance people’s’ quality of life and preserve our country’s natural beauty. Boating and Fishing are fun, stress-relieving activities.
Love our cheap ideas? Get our FREE email newsletters.
Choose from daily, weekly, and monthly lists:
The funds from your Washington State fishing licenses and boat registrations go towards the conservation of our natural aquatic areas.
During National Fishing and Boating week, Washington state residents can enjoy Free Fishing weekend in Washington State. On these days, fishing licenses are not required of anyone to fish in Washington. Free fishing days are a perfect opportunity for beginners to try out fishing for the first time.
- Free Fishing Weekend in Washington is always the first weekend after the first Monday in June.
Also NOT required on Free Fishing Weekend:
- Vehicle Access Pass (which comes with a fishing license)
- A Discover Pass will not be required on WDFW or Washington State Park lands throughout the weekend, but will be required on DNR lands both days.
- Two-Pole Endorsement
But Remember – all other rules still apply. While no licenses are required on Free Fishing Weekend, it’s still important to check the regulations for other rules such as size limits, bag limits, catch record card requirements and area closures that will still be in effect.
- See the Fishing Regulations from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife for all rules and restrictions.
- Catch record cards, required for some species, are available free at hundreds of sporting goods stores and other license dealers throughout the state. Visit the license vendors page to locate a license dealer.
- All boat operators are required to have a Washington State issued Boater Education Card indicating that a boating safety education class or equivalency exam has been successfully completed by the card holder. BoatUS Foundation’s Online Course is the only free Online Boating Safety Course approved by the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission.
- Find places to go fishing in Washington State.
Take a newbie fishing!
Did you know that one of the main reasons people don’t go fishing or boating, is because no one has invited them? For a newcomer, fishing can feel like an intimidating activity without an experienced guide. But you can help change this. Your invitation may be just what someone needs to start a lifetime of love for fishing and boating.
If you already have a fishing license, consider taking a friend or family member who has never been fishing, out on the water for the day.
You might also like:
- Center for Wooden Boats, Seattle and Camano Island – Greater Seattle on the Cheap
- Free water safety guides & Washington boating laws – Greater Seattle on the Cheap
- Our big list of boat shows & waterfront festivals – Greater Seattle on the Cheap
Calendar of boating and water sports
Listed below are upcoming boating and water sports events on our calendar. Featured Events are list first each day, highlighted by a photo. Featured events are unique or annual events that we or our advertisers don’t want you to overlook.
Saturday, December 2, 2023
Saturday, December 9, 2023
Saturday, December 16, 2023
Saturday, December 23, 2023
Saturday, December 30, 2023
Saturday, January 6, 2024
Saturday, January 13, 2024
Saturday, January 20, 2024
Saturday, January 27, 2024
Friday, February 2, 2024
Saturday, February 3, 2024
Sunday, February 4, 2024
Monday, February 5, 2024
Tuesday, February 6, 2024
Wednesday, February 7, 2024
Thursday, February 8, 2024
Friday, February 9, 2024
Saturday, February 10, 2024
Saturday, February 17, 2024
Saturday, February 24, 2024