Tacoma Light Trail is a free trail of light art downtown. It’s a collaborative event and couldn’t happen without the generosity and creativity of many. Rosemary Ponnekanti (writer, musician and director of Tacoma Ocean Fest) started the Tacoma Light Trail in 2020. However, it’s a collaborative event, and couldn’t happen without the generosity and creativity of many:
- Tacoma Ocean Fest, Foss Waterway Seaport, Washington State History Museum, Museum of Glass, Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma Urban Performing Arts Center, Tacoma City Ballet, The Grand Cinema, Puget Sound Revels, First Night, Pax Tahoma, Seymour Conservatory (Metro Parks Tacoma), Symphony Tacoma, Northwest Sinfonietta, Tacoma Refugee Choir, Alma Mater, Spaceworks, Tacoma Association of Colored Women’s Clubs, Asia Pacific Cultural Center, Permaculture Lifestyle Institute, Campfire Coffee, Corina Bakery, Alchemy Skateboarding, Rainbow Center, Tacoma ArtWalk, LeRoy Jewelers, Good Design Works, Mad Hat Tea Co., Michael Haeflinger, Erin Guinup, Paul Chiyokten Wagner, Ralph Reign, Rosemary Ponnekanti, Steve LaBerge, Paul Blanchard, Ulysses Martin, Kareem Kandi, University of Washington Tacoma, Cheryl Rux, Laila Tova, Lisa Fruichantie, Stink, Tacoma History Museum, School of the Arts, Tacoma Youth Theatre, and Tacoma Arts Live.
About Tacoma Light Trail
The Tacoma Light Trail is designed to be walked or driven. Most of the light art can be seen from the road.
Enjoy over 50 artists and spaces in over 25 locations. Every light art location has a music or poetry spot on the Sound Trail. You’ll find illuminated sculpture, window installations, light projections, and video.
When: Tacoma Light Trail will be visible 5-9pm every night from December 31, 2021 thru January 23, 2022
More info: https://www.tacomalighttrail.org/
Get the Tacoma Light Trail map or app
Using the free mobile map, sounds will automatically play when you have location services turned on and approach each light art installation.
Get the Tacoma Light Trail map: https://www.tacomalighttrail.org/map/
Or, download the free Echoes mobile app and find the Tacoma Light Sound Trail. Using the app, sounds will automatically play when you have location services turned on and approach the light art: free Echoes mobile app.
More info: https://www.tacomalighttrail.org/map/
But wait, there’s more!
- Christmas lights around the Puget Sound region
- Solstice events, lantern festivals, and light shows
- Walking labyrinths in Washington State
- Need stress relief? Build a walking labyrinth at home
- 10 best free outdoor activities year-round
- Here’s a list of 101+ always free things to do for fun.
- More free and cheap things to do every day: Greater Seattle on the Cheap event calendar.
- Still more ideas for frugal fun: Greater Seattle on the Cheap home page.
Love our cheap ideas? Get our FREE email newsletters. Choose from daily, weekly, and monthly lists. Click here to subscribe.
The following events on our calendar include light festivals and related events.