Every month of the year, certain items are discounted due to overstock, holiday sales, or transitions from one season to the next. Here are the shopping highlights for June in Seattle-Tacoma area stores.
Of course, we think the best way to save money is not to spend it! But, when you need or want to, plan your spending to take advantage of the times of the year when what you buy is at the lowest possible price.
- Holidays and special events with shopping discounts and deals include National Dairy Month, National Donut Day (Jun 2, 2023), Free fishing weekend (June 10-11, 2023), and Father’s Day (Jun 18, 2023), and National Sunglass Day (June 27). For more events and things to do, see our June events calendar – Greater Seattle on the Cheap.
For grads, look for laptops, luggage or travel accessories (including duffels and toiletry bags), business accessories (business card holder, quality pen, or briefcase), digital cameras, Amazon Prime (which just increased its price), or Blue Apron. Most young people will tell you they just want cash. That’s okay, too. Gift cards and cash always work if you’re not sure of your recipient’s tastes or specific needs.
Father’s Day Gifts
Ahead of Dad’s Day, you will find sales on dad-able gifts including recliners and easy chairs, power tools, fishing gear, and meats for the barbecue grill such as steaks and ribs. Local and national stores from Filson to Dick’s and Cabela’s, Walmart and Target will be competing for your dollars.
In additional to Dad’s Day deals on meats for the grill, June is a good time to stock up for summer holiday parties for Fourth of July, Seaattle Seafair, or Labor Day. Look for deals on picnic and party supplies, disposable paper goods, party foods such as hamburger or hotdog buns and accompaniments or other related groceries.
Now that the spring season is ending, some gardening supplies start to go on sale in June, such as hoses, sprinklers, and hand tools.
If you need any summer toys or outdoor gear, you’ll find good supplies and some deals. Of course, the steepest markdowns come at the end of the season, but that’s also when the choices are fewer. So, if you have fishing, camping, hiking, or other outdoor gear on your wish list, this is a good time to shop and compare.
If you’re itching to get out of town on a budget, head to the mountains, Las Vegas, Palm Springs, or check Caribbean destinations. These off-season locales are likely to have deals on hotels and travel packages. The bad news is, the weather might not be ideal (no snow play in the mountains, blazingly hot, or muggy weather and possibly hurricanes). So, keep this in mind, then throw some caution to the wind.
National Sunglass Day is June 27, so late June might be a good time get some new shades.
National Dairy Month
Since June is National Dairy Month, look for grocery specials and manufacturer coupons for yogurt, cheese, ice cream treats, and other dairy products. You might also like: Learn the secrets of saving more money with coupons in less time (livingonthecheap.com)
Local fresh fruit begins coming to market in June.
- Fruits in season this month include apricots, cherries, and strawberries.
- Local vegetables at their peak in June include lettuce and greens, all varieties of peas, pea vines, radishes, fresh herbs, and zucchini flowers.
- Asparagus and rhubarb will be winding down soon. So stock up if you haven’t had your fill.
- You may also want to freeze or pickle some asparagus to enjoy later, or freeze some rhubarb and strawberries for pies, or put up a few jars of strawberry jam.
New products to buy in June
Home Goods & Gifts
It’s wedding and graduation season, so you’ll find deals on all kinds of kitchenware, cookware, barware, and home décor, such as picture frames.
While June may not be as good a time to buy a laptop as are the months of August, September, November, or December, June is a good time to comparison shop. Sometimes you find a good deal on outgoing models (my preferred choice when buying a new computer). Unless you are gaming or programming, you don’t usually need the latest greatest computer speed and storage capability. For most of us, last year’s model will do just fine and costs much less.
Lingerie & Clothing
You can find lingerie and clothing deals at your favorite major retailer, including major retailers such as GAP, J.C. Penney, Kohl’s, Macy’s, Old Navy, Ross, Target, and others. They are often trying to compete with the following two major retailers who hold sales in June:
- Victoria’s Secret holds semi-annual sales in December/January and June/July (aka Secret Summer Sale). The details and dates vary each year, but each sale lasts about two to four weeks. Unless you want a specific item, hold off purchases until near the end of the sale to get the deepest discounts and markdowns on what’s still left.
- Nordstrom has an annual half-yearly sale in June, followed by its pre-fall sale in July or August. It’s a good time to shop for discounts on a variety of apparel, shoes, and accessories.
Designer and luxury goods
Amid the other lingerie and clothing sales, if you like designer wear, be sure to search out deals on luxury goods. I always check my favorite vintage stores before heading to any retail sale.
Calendar of shopping events, deals, and discount
Listed below are upcoming shopping events, discounts and sales from our calendar.
Featured Events are list first each day, highlighted by a photo. Featured events are unique or annual events that we or our advertisers don’t want you to overlook.
Thursday, March 21, 2024
Friday, March 22, 2024
Saturday, March 23, 2024
Sunday, March 24, 2024
Sunday, April 7, 2024
Wednesday, April 24, 2024
Thursday, April 25, 2024
Friday, April 26, 2024
Saturday, April 27, 2024