Listed below are free and cheap things to do for the Labor Day holiday weekend, September 1-4, 2023. It’s a collection of links to information found on Greater Seattle on the Cheap as well as our “mother ship”, the national Living on the cheap website.
What is Labor Day?
Labor Day is a federal holiday, celebrated on the first Monday in September. The day was conceived to recognize the contributions American workers make to the prosperity of the country. The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882 in New York City as proposed by the Central Labor Union. Over the next decade, other states joined in to celebrate Labor Day, organizing parades, speeches by prominent labor leaders, and an amusement festival for labor workers and their families. As more states adopted the tradition, support for a national holiday grew. In 1894, Congress made Labor Day a legal holiday.
The character of the Labor Day celebration has continued to change over time. Today, Labor Day is a low-key holiday, primarily for rest and relaxation. It’s the last chance to celebrate summer before the autumn season begins. Labor Day activities include typical summer fun, such as fireworks displays, picnics, barbecues, camping trips, and that all-American pastime: shopping (particularly for back-to-school). Most retailers hold Labor Day weekend sales with discounts especially for back-to-school clothes and supplies, with deals rivaling Black Friday in November after the Thanksgiving holiday.
Free and cheap things to do Labor Day Weekend
Listed below are lots of ideas for enjoying the last holiday weekend before school starts and fall weather sets in. Scroll down for a day-by-day calendar of free and cheap things to do over the long holiday weekend.
- Ultimate Guide to free spray parks, wading pools, beaches
- Take a hike! Metro summer bus service to Cascade trailheads
- Free Seattle trail maps for running or walking
- Free apps and online maps for walking tours of Seattle
- Our big list of public gardens and garden tours
- Most amazing natural wonders in Washington State
- Where to watch wildlife in Washington State (free!)
- Canoe & kayak rentals at UW Seattle
- 16 Puget Sound lighthouses you can visit for free
- 10 best free outdoor activities year-round
School: Sales, Shopping, and more
Fun for kids and teens
Arts & Entertainment
Fairs & Festivals
- Evergreen State Fair in Monroe
- Washington State Fair in Puyallup
- Getaway: Kittitas County Fair & Rodeo in Ellensburg (107 mi. SE)
- Getaway: rodeo in Ellensburg (110 mi. SE)
- Getaway: Walla Walla Fair & Frontier Days (265 mi. SE)
- Sunflowers Fields & Festivals in Washington State
- Free Blackberry Festival in Bremerton
- Popular u pick crops for September: apples, grapes, pears
Attractions & Special Events
- 10 places at Pike Place Market to while away time
- Woodland Park Zoo: discount tickets & special exhibits
- How to get free or low cost tickets to Seattle Aquarium
- Salmon spawning season in Western Washington
- 15 fish hatcheries you can visit in Washington State
It’s Party Time!
- How to save money on a summer party
- Cheap recipes for your barbecue
- Free guides on how to barbecue safely
- More free food safety apps and guides
- Save money with healthy summer salads
- Easy recipes with cheap summer sweet corn
- Keep the kids cool with DIY ice pops
Calendar of free and cheap things to on Labor Day
Listed below are events on our calendar for Labor Day. We continue to add to this calendar leading up to the Monday holiday.
Monday, September 4, 2023
Vut wait! There’s more. Calendar of free and cheap things to do every day – Greater Seattle on the Cheap