Below is a list of free and cheap things to do you can do on Monday for the Labor Day holiday. It’s a collection of links to information found on Greater Seattle on the Cheap as well as our “mother ship”, the national Living on the cheap website.
The events listed below are available options for Labor Day on Monday, September 2, 2019. If you are looking for more weekend things to do for Friday-Sunday, check out our weekly updated list of free and cheap things to do this weekend in Seattle.
What is Labor Day?
Labor Day is a federal holiday, celebrated on the first Monday in September. The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, in New York City as proposed by the Central Labor Union. The day was conceived to recognize the contributions American workers make to the prosperity of the country.
Over the next decade, other states joined in to celebrate Labor Day, organizing parades, speeches by prominent labor leaders, and an amusement festival for labor workers and their families. As more states adopted the tradition, support for a national holiday grew. In 1894, Congress made Labor Day a legal holiday. The character of the Labor Day celebration has changed over time.
Today, Labor Day is a low-key holiday, primarily for rest and relaxation. It’s the last chance to celebrate summer before the autumn season begins. Labor Day activities include typical summer fun, such as fireworks displays, picnics, barbecues, camping trips, and that all-American pastime: shopping (particularly for back-to-school).
Most retailers hold Labor Day weekend sales with discounts especially for back-to-school clothes and supplies, with deals rivaling Black Friday in November after the Thanksgiving holiday.
Free and cheap things to do on Labor Day
Sales and Back-to-School Shopping
Fun for kids and teens
- Free sprayparks, wading pools, beaches in the Puget Sound region
- Free Skateboard Parks in Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, and Redmond
- Explore the UW Arboretum with a $7 family adventure pack for K-6
- Kids’ crafts: Make a rubber-band powered boat
- 8 giant backyard games you can build yourself
- Top 10 DIY outdoor toys and summer activities for kids
Arts & Entertainment
Fairs, Festivals, Special Events & Activities
- Canoe, rowboat and kayak rentals at UW Seattle
- Free shuttle along the Seattle waterfront
- Free family-friendly blackberry festival in Bremerton
- Evergreen State Fair in Monroe
- Washington State Fair in Puyallup
- Getaway: rodeo in Ellensburg (110 mi. SE)
- Getaway: Kittitas County Fair in Ellensburg (110 mi. SE)
Food, Picnics & Barbecue
- Free online grilling cookbook and videos from Sunset Magazine
- How to throw a picnic for less
- How to save money on a summer party
- Cheap recipes for your barbecue
- Free guides on how to barbecue safely
- More free food safety apps and guides
- Save money with healthy summer salads
- Easy recipes with cheap summer sweet corn
- Keep the kids cool with DIY ice pops