Listed below are free and cheap things to do for the Labor Day holiday weekend, September 3-6, 2021. It’s a collection of links to information found on Greater Seattle on the Cheap as well as our “mother ship”, the national Living on the cheap website.
What is Labor Day?
Labor Day is a federal holiday, celebrated on the first Monday in September. The day was conceived to recognize the contributions American workers make to the prosperity of the country.
In 1882, the first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5 in New York City as proposed by the Central Labor Union.
Over the next decade, other states joined in to celebrate Labor Day, organizing parades, speeches by prominent labor leaders, and an amusement festival for labor workers and their families. As more states adopted the tradition, support for a national holiday grew.
In 1894, Congress made Labor Day a legal holiday. The character of the Labor Day celebration has continues to change over time.
Today, Labor Day is a low-key holiday, primarily for rest and relaxation. It’s the last chance to celebrate summer before the autumn season begins. Labor Day activities include typical summer fun, such as fireworks displays, picnics, barbecues, camping trips, and that all-American pastime: shopping (particularly for back-to-school).
Most retailers hold Labor Day weekend sales with discounts especially for back-to-school clothes and supplies, with deals rivaling Black Friday in November after the Thanksgiving holiday.
Free and cheap things to do Labor Day Weekend
- Free Seattle trail maps for running or walking
- Popular King County Parks for day hikes
- Free apps and online maps for walking tours of Seattle
- 10 best outdoor activities
- Public gardens and garden tours
- Where to watch wildlife in Washington State (and it’s all free)
- Canoe, rowboat and kayak rentals at UW Seattle
- 16 Puget Sound lighthouses you can visit for free
- Salmon spawning season in Western Washington
- List of Washington State Parks open for recreation
School: Sales, Shopping, and more
Fun for kids and teens
Arts & Entertainment
Fairs, Festivals, Special Events & Activities
- 10 places at Pike Place Market to while away time
- 2021 Mariners baseball listening and viewing options
- Hybrid: 2021 SketchFest comedy shows in Seattle
- Woodland Park Zoo open with a new, safe, outdoor experience
- Seattle Aquarium open with timed ticketing
- Getaway: Kittitas County Fair from Ellensburg
Food, Picnics & Barbecue
- How to throw a picnic for less
- How to save money on a summer party
- Cheap recipes for your barbecue
- Free guides on how to barbecue safely
- More free food safety apps and guides
- Save money with healthy summer salads
- Easy recipes with cheap summer sweet corn
- Keep the kids cool with DIY ice pops
Below you’ll find our calendar featuring free and cheap things to do this weekend.
More Events and Things to Do Labor Day Weekend 2021
Friday, September 3, 2021
Saturday, September 4, 2021
Sunday, September 5, 2021
Monday, September 6, 2021
But wait, there’s more!
- Find free and cheap things to do every day on the Greater Seattle on the Cheap calendar.
- And here’s a list of 101+ always free things to do for fun.
- More ideas for frugal fun: Greater Seattle on the Cheap home page.
Love our cheap ideas? Get our FREE email newsletters. Choose from daily, weekly, and monthly lists. Click here to subscribe.